Chapter 4

After sitting in your room into the early hours of the morning, trying to sort through what had just happened, you decide to call Peter. He said that he, Ned, and MJ were all hanging out tonight so he must still be awake.

You listen to the phone ring a couple times before Peter answers, "Hey, y/n! What's up? Is everything okay? I mean-," You laugh and interrupt,

"Funny you should ask, I have something to tell you." Peter remains silent, waiting for you to continue. You puff your cheeks out and begin, "So, remember when you said to keep an eye out for Spiderman? Well, he probably saved my life today."

There's a long pause on the other end of the line and you hear shuffling before Peter says, "What do you mean?" 

"Well, I was in a taxi and the driver was being super creepy and staring at me and then he locked the doors and wouldn't let me out. I started freaking out and then Spiderman yanked him out of the window and got me home. It was surreal." There's another long pause on the other end and you get impatient, "You think I'm making this all up, don't you?" 

Immediately Peter responds, "No! Of course not, y/n. Of course not. Sorry, I'm just putting on my shoes. I'm coming over."

You close your eyes for a second, trying to comprehend why Peter would skip out on his friends like this to talk to you about Spiderman, "No, Peter, honestly it's okay. I'm fine. Watch Star Wars with Ned and MJ." You hear a door close on Peter's end of the line and you sigh. "I'll text you my address."

Fifteen minutes later, you hear clanging outside your window and rush to see what's going on. You lock eyes with Peter who is running up the fire escape, wearing an "I survived my trip to NYC" shirt and athletic shorts. 

Opening the window, you stick your head out and grin, "You know, you didn't have to do this." He shakes his head as he reaches your window,

"Actually, I did." Climbing inside, he gives you a hug and you squeeze tight, not realizing how much you needed one. You also hadn't realized before how strong Peter is. The muscles you can feel in his arms and chest are like ropes under his skin. He pulls away and takes a seat in your desk chair while you sit on your bed. "You really are okay?"

You nod, "I'm okay now, but Peter. Spiderman. I've never seen anything like him. Have you ever seen him?" Peter's mouth hints at a smile, but he wipes it away quickly.

"Yeah, I used to have an internship with Tony Stark and I met Spiderman a couple times."

"You met him? Well, who is he? I feel like I need to thank him." Peter shakes his head, 

"No, I didn't meet the guy under the mask. No one knows who Spiderman really is." You roll your eyes,

"Come on, Pete. There has to be someone who knows who he really is." 

Peter shakes his head. "No, no one knows, and he wants to keep it that way. Apparently. All we get to know is that he's our friendly neighborhood Spiderman and he protects the little guy."

You sigh and rub your eyes, checking the time. "Oh god, it's three in the morning. Peter, won't your parents be pissed?" Peter shakes his head,

"I live with my aunt, and no. May knows me well enough to know I'm not getting myself into trouble." You nod, deciding not to pry. He leans back in your desk chair and looks around your half-unpacked room.

"Don't judge it until everything's out of the boxes." You say quickly, feeling redness climb into your cheeks. Peter snorts,

"No, of course not." He gets up and pulls a framed picture of you and your mom off of the top of an opened box. "Is this your mom?" 

"Yeah." You say, and as he rummages through your photo box, you prepare yourself for the question that inevitably comes next, "Where's your dad? If you don't mind me asking." You shake your head,

"No, I don't mind. My dad's an ass. My mom and I moved here to get away from him. Create some distance. Start fresh, that sort of thing." Peter frowns, but he doesn't give you the sympathetic, I-feel-bad-for-you face.

"Sorry to hear that. Is everything going well so far?" You nod, relieved that he doesn't pry.

"Yep. Mom's got a new job and I'm making new friends." You grin at him and he smiles back at you.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone about your dad." Peter says, "Not even Ned or MJ." You climb off the bed and hug him.

"Thanks, Peter. I'm glad you're one of my new friends." He hugs you back.

"Me too."