Chapter 12

Zach

After telling Brendan about Maddie's newfound addiction, I immediately flashback to the scene in which it all started. 

About an hour after we started exploring downtown, Ada announced that she had to pee and left to find a women's restroom. Maddie and I then ventured into this tiny liquor store called Sonnys Market. It was beat down, with cold cement floors and expired foods sprawled on bent shelves. The only part of it that resembled the average American liquor store was the front. There, a bored looking, over-sized cashier slumped against the register picking at her nails. She noticed us walk in and immediately said hello. The wall behind her was packed high with various alcohol and cigarettes, and even a few bongs. I noticed that her shoulder length blonde hair had bright pink streaks in it, and thinking it looked like a wig.

 She began talking loudly about how certain people around here get on her nerves, and what it'd take for them leave. Somehow the subject had changed to cigarettes, and her long neon yellow acrylic nails were grazing what she had called "the best ones yet". She snatched up the pack and proceeded to open it. Meanwhile I was cautiously stepping away from my girlfriend and into the crevices of the torn up store. I was careful not to accidentally inhale mold or step in rat poisoning. I heard the cashier, who I learned went by Molly, say, "Eh, nobody gonna find out. It's just one pack, plus, what they gonna do? Fire me? I'm the only god damn person that wants to work in this place. It gives my pockets some extra cushion." Molly broke into a thunderous laugh. "Here, try one."

I stopped in my tracks, and turned back to my girlfriend. I took my hand in hers protectively, but she was already considering it. "Well," she shrugged. "I guess one wouldn't hurt. I'll probably hate it anyway." She looked at me, laughing, but I knew what she was about to do wasn't right. In my mind, it's okay to smoke weed every so often for a temporary night high. But smoking is different, because people get addicted very easily. And I don't want her to be one of those people. 

Molly pulled a lighter out of her back pocket, which had a green camouflage design on it. She tossed it on the table in front of her, and Maddie picked it up hesitantly. The cashier picked a cigarette from the box and gave it to her. "Light er up," she smirked, like someone would say of a firework. After a few tries, Maddie was able ignite the flame and bring it to the top. 

"You're gonna regret this," I told her as she took the first drag. "I don't even know why you're doing this. Someone could walk in right now. Then what?" 

"I don't know. Who cares, anyway. It's a cigarette. It's not gonna kill me."

"Mads, you're being incredibly stubborn right now. Smoke enough of those and it will kill you. Fifty years later and lung cancer will be knocking on your door. And he won't leave."

She takes another drag, blowing the smoke away from us. "Zach, I don't know whats gotten into you, but you need to chillax. Seriously. You're being so uptight about this. The whole point of this trip was to get away from our boring little lives as orphans and try new things. That doesn't mean everything we do now is going to stick."

"Fine, then I'm leaving then. Finish your filthy cigarette and meet me outside on the curb when you're done," I spat harshly, leaving her shocked as I retreated out the door. I made myself comfy out on that busy street, where people seemed to be mostly avoiding the store. I couldn't blame them. 

Five minutes later and she hadn't come out. I got up and peered into the barred windows. Her dying cigarette was laying on an ashtray. Molly was handing her a fresh pack, and she slipped it deep into her backpack. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but from what I saw Molly had given her a pink cheetah print lighter, too. All I know is that I felt deeply betrayed. 

 After that, we found Ada and proceeded in our exploring . We wound up finding some really cool places, actually. I can't say I wasn't surprised when Maddie found her vintage camera and started swooning. It's old, and different from any modern day cameras, like the ones that live within our phones. 

I tell Brendan all this and more, and he listens in great interest as I express my thoughts. Brendan has always been there for me, and I am internally grateful to have a guy friend as great as him. The only downside about having been an orphan is that we only knew each other, and the younger kids at NorthSide. I wish we could have been exposed to more people our age. 

But I can't whine now, because we're about to build our futures around each other. The foundation of our new lives start here, on this trip. I don't think there is anything more exhilarating than that. 

Despite my girlfriends new secret, I keep my thoughts positive. I think about the people we'll meet, and the places we have yet to see. For now that Brendan and Ada are engaged, there's no stopping us now.