Seventeen

The next morning, in the airport.

Hope's POV

My phone rang as I walked to get my bags.
"I'm parked." Connor spoke through the phone. "I'll be waiting inside for you."
"Okay, I love you."
"I love you too."
I was quick to grab my bags. I had more stuff this time, so he parked so we could cram it all in his car.
I dragged all of my suitcases through the airport. I met him by the doors. I nearly ran towards him. When he saw me he smiled.
I let go of my stuff and wrapped my arms around him. He embraced me back.
"Oh my god." He kissed my cheeks over and over. "I missed you."
"I was barley gone." I laughed.
"It doesn't matter. It felt like you were gone forever."
I pressed a kiss to his lips. He smiled as we pulled away.
"I missed you too, babe." I stroked his cheek.
"Let's get you home."
I nodded. He helped me carry my stuff to his car.
We put it all in his trunk and I got into the passenger seat.
It felt good to be relaxed. I haven't slept in almost two nights. I definitely didn't sleep on my flight the night before, and I didn't sleep well at Meg's the night before that.
He looked over at me as he started to drive.
"Hope, I'm so happy you're here."
"I'm happy to be here, not there."
"I could understand that."
It was quiet for a little bit.
I thought about how much my life was about to change.
My father's gone.
I'm about to have the legal capacity of an eighteen year old.
I'm a senior.
My dad will never see me graduate high school.
Connor's still hot... so at least I've got that going for me.
"Are you okay, baby?" He asked.
"No, not really. I'm tired."
"Yeah?" He laid his hand out on the console of his car.
I laid my hand on his. His skinny fingers wrapped around mine. I smiled a little.
"I'm so heartbroken, Connor." I sighed.
"You have every right to feel that way."
I closed my eyes. My breathing got shaky. I knew I was close to crying.
"I feels like he gave up on me." I mumbled, my words shaky.
"I know it does, baby."
"He practically asked for death. It was suicide." I kept my eyes closed. "Suicide is selfish. Didn't he think about me?"
Connor didn't respond for a minute. I opened my eyes and tears flooded out. He sighed and looked out his window.
"As someone who's been addicted to heroin, I understand his temptation, but I don't understand his logic."
He glanced over at me for a second. I nodded. My lip quivered. I bit it so it would stop shaking.
"He's never going to come back. He's gone. He's not going to see me graduate, he's not going to see me get married, have kids, none of it."
Connor glanced at me.
"I didn't even get to tell him about you. He doesn't even know how happy you make me."
"I know... I'm sorry, baby." He mumbled.
"He started seeing that woman as soon as I left. She was only 20... my father was almost 50. He would have been 50 this year."
Connor rubbed his thumb over my hand. "I know, babe, I know is hard to process."
"I'm disgusted." I gulped down saliva. "He's selfish. He's dead now because he's selfish."
He stayed quiet. He nodded along like he was listening.
"I'm just so tired and stressed. I just want this to be over."
He nodded. He kissed my hand. He kept his lips on it for a while. I watched him.
"He may have given up on you, but I never will." Connor mumbled. "I love you with every single stitch of my being and I'll never give up on you. You'll get through this."
I smiled a little.
We drove in silence. I looked out the window.
"This is traumatic for you, don't try and act like it's not." He mumbled.
"I know."
"I'm here, okay? I love you to pieces and I want you to get better. This will get better. You can always talk to me."
I nodded.
"You were always there for me and I'll always be here for you." He whispered.
I smiled and rested my head on his arm. He rubbed my hand.
"I love you."
"I love you too."

Connor's POV

I helped her get all her things inside. We even started unpacking some of her more personal items.
She laid down on her bed. I kept unpacking things for her for a little bit.
"Connie?" She mumbled.
"Yeah?"
"Will you hold me?"
I smiled a little and walked over to her. I laid down next to her on the bed. Her back faced away from me. I wrapped my arms around her.
She grabbed my hand. She inspected it, and I let her because I didn't really care.
"Think of all the places this hand has been." She mumbled a few minutes later.
Damn you're tired.
I thought about it.
"Not all good ones, huh?" She mumbled.
"No, some are better than others."
"Like what?"
"Like on my piano, or holding your hand."
She played with my fingernails.
"Or like... in between your legs."
"Connor Murphy!" she gasped and looked back at me.
"Well..." I shrugged and smirked.
"Stop it! You're dirty..."
"I never denied it." I kissed her neck gently.
"I'm going to sleep." She let go of my hand. "I'm so tired."
"Okay."
I stopped taking, and in a matter of minutes she was asleep. I gently got out of the bed.
I walked downstairs and left her door cracked.
School started today, but I took the day off because of Hope. I would be going back tomorrow. I was dreading it.
I looked around the downstairs of their house. I went into the living room. I sat on the couch and sat down. I pulled out my phone.
I wanted to do something for Hope. I would have to do them over the weekend, but that was alright. I started doing my research. I wanted to take her to do something, to get her mind off everything that was happening. My I looked around the room. My eyes darted around the floor as I was waiting on an idea to strike me.
My eyes landed on a movie that was on the floor in front of the TV.
I smiled.