ii

chapter two
//run//

I furrow my eyebrows as I look up at the sky

I furrow my eyebrows as I look up at the sky. "Simon? Doesn't it seem to be getting even darker?" I ask, looking over at him as he looks up to the sky.

"Yeah, check your phone?" he asks, so I pull my phone from my pocket. I press the home button, but it doesn't turn on, confusing me. I press the power button, but it still doesn't turn on. "Is it dead?"

"That's not possible," I mumble. I charged it before I left my house, and the only place I went was here. "Where are we Simon?"

"Maybe we should just try and find the others," Simon suggests, and I nod my head in response. I glance around me, having no idea where to start.

"It's not like we can call them," I groan, frustrated. We didn't even go far, and they wouldn't have left us. None of this makes sense. "Maybe JJ's right."

"What? That this place is haunted?" he asks, raising his eyebrows at the idea. I nod my head, but that only causes him to shake his.

Simon rubs the back of his neck, trying to think of what to do as I barely hear a twig snap behind me, so I quickly turn around. "Did you hear that?" I ask, my eyes scanning through the trees.

"Hear what?" Simon asks, an anxious feeling starting to rise up in my chest.

"A twig snapped," I mumble, fidgeting with fingers.

"It could've just been an animal, Amber," he soothes, resting his hands on my shoulders. I always get paranoid really easily. I used to have really bad nightmares because of my anxiety, and I've just gotten them under control. I'm sure this won't help.

"We're like the two in horror movies who sneak off and get killed," I mutter, trying to make a joke and lighten my own mood.

"Except we're not having sex," Simon points out, so I shrug my shoulders. "I mean we could, if that's what you want."

"Shut up," I laugh, pushing him away from me, knowing he's only joking. As he wiggles his eyebrows at me I see something in the distance behind him. It's not moving and doesn't look like a person, but it also doesn't look like it belongs in a forest. "Wait, Simon?" I mutter causing him to stop laughing. "What's that?" I ask, pointing towards the thing I'm staring at.

"We can go see," he suggests, and I swear that's one of the dumbest things to come out of his mouth since I've known him.

"Are you insane?" I ask, staring at him like he is.

"We have nothing better to do," he mutters, shrugging his shoulders.

"I'd rather have sex," I groan causing Simon to look at me suggestively.

"Come on Amber," Simon says, holding his hand out for me to take, knowing neither of us actually wanted to get it on in some random, creepy forest.

"Fine, but if we die, it's your fault," I complain, grabbing his hand.

We walk towards it and as we get closer, I notice that it looks like a hook.

"It's a sex swing," Simon exclaims, squinting his eyes at it.

"Are you actually on drugs?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows at him. It's literally just a random ass hook, which definitely doesn't make me feel any safer.

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood. We're fine," Simon chuckles nervously, grabbing the hook and trying to lift himself up.

"Knock it off," I hiss, pushing him away from the thing. "You could slip and stab yourself. This place is fucking creepy Simon. Can we just find the others?"

"Okay where do you suggest we start then?" he asks looking like a smartass.

"I don't know; do some telepathy shit with JJ and figure it out," I complain suddenly very cold. My eyes scan the distance, and I wonder how big this place actually is.

"What if we just start shouting names? They would-" I zone Simon out as I realise there's a big figure standing in the distance. Simon starts shouting names, but I can't even comprehend whose names. My hands start shaking, and I feel like I can't move.

"Si-" I start struggling to get his name out, "Simon, run. Run!" I push his body to try and start his running as I run past him.

"What're you running fr-?" Simon starts, but I assume he saw the same figure.

As my breathing gets worse, I only become more scared. The only thing reassuring me is Simon's loud footsteps behind me.

Suddenly, something grabs me causing me to scream. Arms wrap around my body and seem to swallow me. I squeeze my eyes shut to try and wake up, but I know this is all too real.