2

It was three days later when I heard of my new neighbor again. From my mother.

"Our neighbor seems strange, don't you think?"

I rolled my eyes. Of course my mother would have something bad to say about her, I actually believe she doesn't genuinely like anyone at all, not even her children. "Why?"

"Well, I don't know. It's just a feeling I have. I mean, she moved here back in March and yesterday was only the second time I talked to her."

Wait what? She moved back in March? That was - I did a mental count - five months ago. Why didn't I know about this? "Why didn't you tell me we had a new neighbor? I found out just a couple of days ago."

"Of course I told you. You probably weren't listening to me as always."

True. I usually let her go on and on so it seems like she's talking to someone while I just nod here and there.

"Yeah, yeah. You said you talked to her?"

"I did, but briefly. You know that new plant I bought yesterday?" I nodded, I didn't understand her obsession with plants, our house looked like a jungle or something. "Well, I was carrying it upstairs and she offered to help, so then we brought it inside and I offered her a cup of coffee but she refused. I mean, usually you have to accept out of courtesy, right? And so I kept insisting and she kept refusing, can you believe it? Then I asked her about how she was finding her new house and the new city and she just said 'fine' and 'I have to go' and actually left. So so rude, don't you think? If you ever behave this way when you move out of this house I'll be very very disappointed, I've taught you something called manners and courtesy and you have to use them especially with your elders-"

God, could she get any more dramatic? I let her go on nagging and complaining about nothing. What was her problem anyway? If she didn't want coffee she could refuse it and if she had to go, she had to go. My mind went back to March. Did I really ignore the existence of the most beautiful woman I have ever seen and who happened to live just next door to me, for months? I should visit her soon, just to try her new TV. Or more like to feed the unrealistic crush I had on her. I thought about her long wavy brown hair that were just a tiny bit messy when she knocked on my door and about her smile that could melt my heart in two seconds and about her eyes, even if I didn't catch what color they were, that disappeared when she smiled and about her perfect body and her boobs - wait I should stop here.

I sighed. I was projecting all my ideal expectations when it came to women on her and that meant that sooner or later I would be disappointed because she's not what I want her to be. And then my crush would disappear from one moment to the other. Puff. Gone. Like, first of all, in my ideal world she would be gay but if we have to be realistic, she's most definitely straight. Second of all, if for some kind of miracle she were gay, she would have to be attracted to me, thing which is obviously impossible. Not because I'm ugly but because she would have higher standards and wouldn't date someone younger, without a job, living with her parents and not as attractive as her, aka me.

I needed to get a grip and soon.

***

I rang the doorbell and held my breath. It's been a week since I first came here and I thought it wouldn't be inappropriate to try my luck and take advantage of her invitation. It was 6pm on a Monday and she should be home, at least I hoped so.

The door opened to a sleepy looking woman who I was sure had to be my neighbor. She looked surprised when she saw me. "Oh, hi! Cam, was it?"

Damn. She didn't remember my name? I certainly remembered hers. "Yep. I... Uhm, remember I told you I would like to use your brand new TV?". I smiled trying to hide my uneasiness.