Epilog

Two months later....

The weeks went past and McKenzie often wondered what had happened to Catherine James. Was she living under an assumed identity somewhere, or had she died from her injuries? Then one day a postcard arrived in the mail addressed to him at the police station. It was a picture of a beach in Rio de Janeiro. He read it in amazement. "I'll be damned!" he muttered.

"What have you got there?" Ryan asked, entering the office.

"Take a look at this," McKenzie handed Ryan the postcard.

Ryan looked at the picture, then turned the card over and read out loud: "Alan, I heard you were looking for me in Adelaide. Don't worry about me, I'm back in good health although I can't wear my bikini on the beach thanks to the scars you gave me. It's great weather here. Why don't you come and visit? Kate."

Ryan gaped at McKenzie. "The cheek of her! Do we have an extradition arrangement with Brazil?"

"No," McKenzie replied, "A pity. I would have enjoyed a trip to Rio de Janeiro." 

Author's Note
Thanks so much to everyone who read this.
I was overwhelmed at the number of reads it has had.
If you like this genre I have written another detective mystery novella titled "Under Cover" about a detective trying to track down a ruthless assassin.
You'll find it on my homepage or use this link:
https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/297321789-under-cover

Aurora