Pilot

Ring Ring Ring

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blasting through my ears. I sluggishly got up and turned it off, the time was 7:30. Oh no! I'm gonna be late for work.

I scrambled to the shower and took the quickest one I had ever taken. When I got out and got ready, I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding, it was 7:33.

I made myself a bowl of cereal, that in no time, was gobbled up (because I'm a glutton) and finished. I grabbed my to go coffee mug, my briefcase, and headed to my car. I quickly buckled my shoes up and ran into the car before skidding off into the distance.

***

"Do you understand the consequences of being late today, Mr. Kens?"

"Yes captain, I can lose my job." I answered groggily.

"Ok, but you know I respect you as a colleague, I'll let you off this time, but if it happens again...."

I nodded and went back to my lab, I am a detective for the FBI, and I work forensics. There is a mad killer on the loose, mass murders in the duration of the night. I have been tasked to put this criminal behind bars. My team and I have been struggling though, to find this killer.

We have found a pattern of where he's going, he breaks into houses every other neighborhood and the 5th house on the street is the one where he starts.

I have been trying to figure out who the murderer is by the murder weapons left behind, one time there was a strand of hair, it belonged to a male. That's how we identify our perpetrator as a man.

When I go to the crime scenes, I pick up the murder weapons and test them in my portable forensics case, the only fingerprints that come back positive are mine, come from whenever I pick up the weapons to test them. I wonder why that is?

It's not much to think about, I guess, because the perp might be wearing gloves, or hand protection of any kind. Might being the key word.