Chapter Three

THE NEXT DAY, BELLA AND Laika reported together for duty in the East Wing. Laika had spent an uncomfortable night at an inn near the palace called the Honking Goose, and frankly was glad to pay her bill and vacate the premises. The downside to leaving early was that the palace doors were not yet open, and Laika had to wait. But she didn't mind. There were plenty of places to sit down and wait, and beautiful public gardens she could wander through.

While she was sitting by a fountain, she hard a shout and looked up to see Bella jogging towards her. The other girl had freshened up, and looked especially beautiful. Laika suddenly felt self-conscious. But she buried her insecurity and greeted her friend with a warm smile.

"How was your night?" Bella asked. "I stayed with one of my parents' friends. They were very nice."

"I stayed in an inn. It was not very nice," she replied. Bella grimaced.

"Sorry about that. I hope it wasn't too bad. Are you ready for the first day of the rest of your life?"

"Yeah! Actually, I'm really excited. I mean, it's the palace, for heaven's sake! It's every little girl's dream. True, the job we're doing may not be so glamorous, but it's the palace! The center of all Coppernia! What's not to be psyched about?"

Bella laughed. "True enough. Well, are you ready? Should we go?"

Laika took a deep breath. "Sure." They went up to the palace doors and knocked. A footman opened the door and hissed angrily at them. "What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here! Go around the back!"

"Why?" Bella asked, but they were shushed and pushed out the door, which was slammed in their face. They stood there, shocked for one moment. Then Bella laughed. "Well that was rude. Come on, let's go to the back." They walked more slowly around to a side door, which they knocked at.

It was opened by a frightened-looking young woman with a long scar down her cheek. She looked them over and then hissed, "Quick, come in! The Cantankerous Cantaloupe is in a foul mood." She held open the door and the two girls scurried inside. "Alright, what can I do you for?" the scarred girl asked, closing the door behind them.

"We're here to take up our jobs as maids," Bella said confidently. "It's our first day. Do you know where we could find a Mrs. Ceannaideach?"

"Oh, you mean the Cantankerous Cantaloupe," the girl said. "She's in the parlor, bellowing at the footmen. But if I were you, I wouldn't cross her. As I said, she's in a black mood."

"We have to," Bella said with a grimace. "We have to introduce ourselves and get our first assignment. Can you take us to her?"

"Oh, very well," the girl grumbled. "Follow me." She took off at a brisk pace, making them jog to keep up. She led them through hallways and rooms full of talking people, up staircases and down them again, and finally stopped at a pair of two huge white doors. Someone was yelling inside, and their voice could be clearly heard outside. The girl winced. "Good luck. You'll need it." Then she disappeared. Laika and Bella were left standing outside the double doors.

Laika took a deep breath and smiled at Bella. Then she raised her fist and knocked once, twice, upon the door. Barely had she withdrawn her hand when the door flew open. A tall, thin woman stood there, nostrils flaming and eyes afire. She had her hair pulled back into such a tight bun that it made her whole face look stretched, and she had a ring of keys at her waist.

"Well?" she snapped in a voice like metal scraping on metal. "What do you want?"

Bella spoke up, saving Laika, who had let out a frightened whimper and ducked behind her. "We're the new maids ... we've come to receive our assignments. We can come back later if you like."