Chapter 7: Jealousy

A few months had past since Snape's birthday. He had urged me to continue our tutoring sessions, to which I happily obliged. I'm happy to announce my grades in potions moved upwards.

So did our relationship might I add. If Snape wasn't at least 20 years my senior, I would've referred to him as a friend.

But saying something along the lines of Hey! My good old pal Severus! How's your day man? Isn't something I would ever let cross my tongue, no matter how confident I was in previous encounters.

I always made sure to smile at him in the hallways, even if most times I was only greeted back with a nod. A nod was definitely more than most students got.

Anyways, with winter coming to an end, the annual spring ball was approaching, and I desperately needed a date.

And before you ask, no my crush on Snape wasn't gone, but it's not like I could ask him. And problem is if I didn't have a date, repulsive Tom would be sure to pester me into going with him. I had to get one.

I was currently in potions class, when Snape said that we would be working on a potion with a partner today.

Subconsciously I decided I would just work with Draco like I usually did—It was the easiest thing to do, even though he was rather difficult to work with sometimes—but when I turned around to find him, I saw he was already was paired up with that Pansy Parkinson girl.

Oh well.

I looked to my left to see a Hufflepuff that I believed to be Cedric Diggory didn't have a partner. I suppose he'll have to do since Draco was preoccupied.

"Cedric, want to be my partner?" I called to him from my seat, in an attempt to get his attention.

Cedric turned his head towards me and gave me a small smile, gesturing me over.

"Of course y/n. How can I turn down working with you? You've been really good at potions recently."

Oh Cedric you have no idea.

"Haha, thanks I appreciate the compliment." I replied as I went and took a seat next to Cedric. As far as I was aware of, Cedric seemed to get good grades as well, so I had no doubt that our potion would be adequate. Hopefully good enough for Professor Snape.

"Are you excited for the spring ball?" Cedric asked as he opened his textbook.
I chuckled and carefully placed the first ingredient into the cauldron.

"Oh yeah, so excited to go to an event where everyone will have a date except me."

Cedric shot me a sympathetic smile.

"You're not the only one Y/n. Guess who else doesn't have a date."

I found it quite hard to believe that THE Cedric Diggory didn't have a date to the dance. He was attractive, smart, and kind. (Though totally not my type may I add.) But regardless of my "type" I needed a date, friendly or otherwise. And my ideal date was waaay out of reach.

"Well it seems we're both in a predicament." I laughed, stirring the cauldron a bit.

"*Ahem*" A familiarly deep voice drawled on above me and Cedric.

"I'd appreciate it if you two could keep the discussion strictly to the task at hand." Professor Snape snapped at us.

I thought we were homies Snape??? Why you mad??

I bit the urge to sarcastically say "Bad day?", and simply listened to his instructions on only talking about class—until class was over that is.

Once class was finished I caught Cedric's shoulder.

"Hey Cedric, Y'know how both of us don't have a partner to the dance? Well I was-"

"Miss. Y/n."

I gulped and turned around to face the man who never failed to intimidate me.

"I need you to stay after class. Please."

He definitely wasn't asking.

"Al-Alright." I responded, missing my chance to ask Cedric to the dance, and slowing inching my way towards Professor Snape's desk.

I don't know why, but he didn't seem to be in a good mood today, and I definitely wasn't trying to get on his nerves.

He waited until all of the students piled out of the classroom before turning to me.

"I didn't know you were aquatinted with Cedric." He drawled, looking at me with half lidded eyes.

My eyebrows knitted together.

"Well we're not best friends or anything." I said. "I just know him from...around I guess."

Snape scoffed and leaned back in his chair.

"Then why are you asking him to the dance? Do you ever like dances?"

"Well..."

"Exactly." He sneered.

"Why are you so grumpy today Professor?" I huffed, realizing that we probably wouldn't be doing any tutoring today.

"Aren't I always like this Y/n? Most people assume I am."

"Most of the time you're actually quite pleasant if I'm being honest." I stated.

Professor Snape shifted his weight uncomfortably in his chair.

"Well I'm not." he retorted.

I let a small smile spread across my face and folded my arms.

"Actually you're being quite amiable right now." I giggled.

"Oh yes. I, the dungeon bat, the most agreeable man you'll ever meet." Snape let a small chuckle cross his features, joining in on my amusement.

Professor Snape and I decided to talk for the rest of our tutoring period instead of actually tutoring. It seemed more appealing at the time—my grades in potions were adequate anyways.

After Snape and I's girl talk finished, I left the classroom with a few problems.

Snape obviously didn't want me to ask Cedric to the dance and I didn't want to upset him, but I also didn't want to be the one person who doesn't go to the dance...how can I make this work?

A/n: i'm reallllly sorry I didn't update in ten years! but anyways...what do you think will happen next chapter? will you be able to ask cedric to the dance under Snape's radar, or will you not go at all? find out whenever I decide to update lmfaoo