Part 24

"I just thought it was funny because their personalities match. Now can you please let it go Inui!" Ryumi begs the bespectacled boy who has been following her for the duration of lunch.

Eiji thought it would be nice to drop a photo of her rabbits in their group chat, triggering Inui's and Fuji's pestering. Oishi told her he was flattered and assured her not to be embarrassed though and Tezuka was only indifferent about it.

"Don't you have to prepare for the intra-school rankings this afternoon?" she wonders, making Inui pause.

He pushes his glasses up farther on his nose. "My preparation has been quite sufficient. No matter my opponent, I feel confident." he explains, making her look at him curiously.

"You're dead set on regaining your spot with the regulars, aren't you?" Ryumi questions, making him nod.

Ryumi muses over this for a moment. "I suppose, if you do as well as you believe you will, someone else will lose their place.... That's going to be harsh." she hums with a pout. Already feeling sorry for who ever will be so unlucky.

Inui nods. "Indeed. However, I will not hold back despite of that. Neither of them will." he points out.

Ryumi shrugs. "I guess. Makes me a bit glad on not being on a team though. I've always played solo in the US. I only had to focus on myself. There weren't any regrets if my play went to the expense of someone else. But... at the same time, seeing you guys together, it makes me wish I had the same."

She then smiles suddenly. "Maybe I have that now, though by association."

Inui raises a brow. "Do you not want to join the girls team when you're ready?" he wonders, making her glance over the girl's court and remembering whose in it. They're not all bad, but girls... they'll kill each other over nothing. Too much drama, she decides.

"I don't think so." she mutters before resuming her pace, Inui quickly falling in line.

"So about those rabbits..."

"Argh! Inui!"

....

"I think everyone is just a little worried, so don't mind them talking about it Oishi-kun." Ryumi urges the vice-captain. He has been getting rather annoyed at the fact that everyone keeps bringing up Momo-chan's loss. He hasn't managed to stay with the regulars after losing to Tezuka and Inui. It was a hard blow on him and he hasn't been to practice for some days.

"Even Ryoma's worried, though he doesn't show it. And I think you worry most of all, don't you, mother hen? That's why people talking about it annoys you so much." she continues as they walk down the hallway together, sidestepping students as they go.

Oishi looks down with a strained smile. "I guess so. It's just..." he doesn't finish, just sighs.

Ryumi smiles in understanding. "Momo's a fighter if I've ever seen one. I'm confident he'll bounce back when he's up for it. Nothing can drag that guy down for long." she tells him calmly, making him smile a little more reassured before looking away in thought.

They reach the courts and part ways. "Sorry to intrude." Ryumi greets Tezuka before taking her seat beside the court; ready to go over some worksheets she received today. Better to do it now than later, after all, Fuji is going to try and give her the run around again later.

"Hanging around the court again?" a voice questions in a way that makes her eye twitch.

Her eyes shoot towards her little brother. "Oi, drop that attitude chibisuke and start practicing or I'll be the one to make you start running laps." she warns.