1

"Have a good day at school, honey!" My stepmother calls from behind the steering wheel of her brand new car, her pregnant belly nearly touching the wheel. My stepmother - Sarah - who is six months pregnant (nearly seven) had to take me to school this morning because I woke up late so I missed the bus and because of that I was victim to meaningless small talk and ramblings.

"Thanks, see you later." I say half-heartedly, slamming the shiny car door closed and slinging my bag over my shoulder. I push against the wooden front doors and head straight towards registration. As I walk through the corridors, admiring the fairly new displays and colourful posters, my phone vibrates in my bag and my heart leaps with excitement.

It could be him.

I quickly undo my bag and delve into the depths of my crammed belongings with my hand, feeling around for the device, until I feel the smooth texture of my phone case and pull it out.

Let's see, one new message from Ashley.

Disappointment washes over me as I read the text from my best friend asking me where I am. The problem isn't with Ashley, I mean she's my best friend we fight sometimes but- whatever, the real problem is him - Luke Hill, you know, the most popular boy in school cliché.

Well, I'm seeing him - kind of. He has a girlfriend but he plans on leaving her soon. Meanwhile, we meet up and have 'dates', if you consider a date snogging in a small cupboard until he has to go to football practice or he has to tend to his girlfriend.

Worst of all, his girlfriend is Samantha Kennedy, the reigning bitch. He insists that she is absolutely lovely once you get to know her but he fails to understand that I don't want to get to know her - especially because I'm the one he's cheating on her with.

Not even my best friend knows about my secret affair with Luke because he swore me to secrecy but she knows of my infatuation with him because I've been in love with him for the best part of six years.

Yeah, that long. We haven't been doing the whole affair thing for that long, of course, it's been a couple of months now actually.

I arrive at the classroom and knock on the door, our teacher for registration, Mrs. Smith - an elderly woman close to retiring, is a strong believer of manners and all that so you have to be courteous whenever you come into contact with her or you're in for it.

"Come in." She orders from the other side of the door. "Ah, Miss. Porter how lovely of you to join us,"

"Sorry Mrs. Smith, it won't happen again." I grovel.

"I hope for your sake it doesn't." My eyes widen at Ashley as I take my seat next to her and mouth the reason for my tardiness. She nods in understanding and smiles.

***

When the bell rings to let us go for lunch and we all file into the hallway, Luke sends me a wink and I know everything is ok with us. He didn't text me for the whole weekend like he said he would and I didn't know if I'm just being stupid and worrying for no reason but he just confirmed that all of my doubts were wrong and we're fine.

I tell Ashley that I'm going to the library to do some revision for the test I have next lesson. Which isn't completely a lie because I am going to the library but I have no intentions of studying. Once I get there I go to the more secluded part of the library where the old poetry books are and wait, making myself at home by dropping my bag and sitting on the ground, tucking my legs beneath me.

I've been waiting for a few minutes before he turns the corner of the bookcase and looks down at me.

"Hi," He smirks.

"Hey," I smile, suddenly my heart is racing. I take a deep breath and stand up from my position on the carpet, brushing my school skirt off.

Now, you may think I am a heartless bitch for what I have been doing for the past few months but he doesn't love her. He's trying to find a way to break up with her so he can be with me. We're going to go to the same university when we leave school, we've got everything planned out.

"Sorry I couldn't get here sooner. Mr. Francis kept me behind." He states, digging his hands into his pockets.

"He kept you behind, why?" I ask, concern lacing my tone.

"Something about me not getting a good predicted grade,"

"What? I thought you were doing well in that class," I say, my eyebrows furrowing together.

"So did I," He shrugs, taking a step forward.

"What about getting into-" I start to say but he takes another step forward and takes my head in his hands, softly brushing the skin of my cheek with his thumb. My hearts leaps dangerously in my chest.

"Shhh, I'll deal with it," He tries to comfort me before he gently presses his lips to mine. I instantly relax as I move my lips with his. "Better?" He says once he pulls away. I nod in reply as he peppers kisses up my neck. My heartbeat accelerates again and I try to concentrate on breathing.

Deep breaths, in and out. This boy will be the death of me, I swear.

I close my eyes and reopen them, Luke still stippling kisses on the skin of my neck. I close my eyes again and turn my head.

When I open my eyes once again, I see a pair of deep brown eyes staring back at me from between the shelves of books. I let out a loud gasp and stumble backwards, away from Luke. However, when I look back between the shelves, the amber eyes are gone.

Oh, shit.