Truth Or Dare

When the time came, I had slipped into the living room to flip on the sterio on the entertainment center. The music of the 70's filled the living room and right on cue, Rhett was pulling dad into the living room. 

"I thought Charly didn't want us to be at this party? It's her birthday party." He said. 

"She just wants you to see something." Rhett replied. 

"Mom!" I called to her. She stepped down the staircase after a few moments. 

"What is it, hon?" She asked me softly. She turned her eyes towards my father as she heard the music. "I remember this song," Her eyes landed on me, surprised. 

"It's for you." I said with a smile. I crossed over to the light switch on the side of the room and flipped it on. The tiny white christmas lights dangling from the railing near the staircase lit brightly. It was just as the sun had started to go down but they still looked beautiful despite darkness hadn't come. 

"Charly? What's going on?" My dad asked. 

"Oh, nothing." I said playfully. I crossed over to my dad and Rhett and grasped his hand with mine and pulled him out to the middle of the floor in the entrance room. He smiled at me as I tried to dance with him. Rhett crossed over to mom on the stair case and took her hand and pulled her to the entrance where we were dancing. I let go of my father's hand and he was looking straight forward at my mother who was laughing as Rhett danced with her. Rhett let go of her, right on cue and her eyes caught my fathers.' She walked towards him and my father took her hand and smiled and pulled her towards him. My mother giggled and pressed close to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. I grinned. 

"Told you it would work." I said to him. He had a grin on his face. 

"You don't have to hook me up with Emma." He said quietly. 

"Hey, we had a deal." I replied. He glanced at me and smiled lightly. 

"Thanks, Charly." I nodded. 

Vinny took a spot next to me, folding his arms and watching my parents. My friends were all around too, leaning against the stair case railing. My parents were the main event in the entertainment. 

"See, your parents are still way in love." Vinny exclaimed. I looked up at him. 

"Yeah. They are." I agreed. 

"Why don't you get out there and dance with your boy toy?" He asked me. 

"Well, it's not really for me. I planned this for them." I said with a shrug. 

"Nah, I'm sure they would be cool with it." He said. He took my hand and pulled me out to the entrance room where my parents were still slow dancing. 

"Vinny!" I cried with a giggle. He crossed over to my friends by our staircase. 

"Are you crazy, get out here dude!" Vinny called to Joey. Joey's eyes landed on me and I saw Ella glance up at him as he took a step down the stair he was sitting on. He walked over to me with a smile and took my hand and place it on his shoulder and he slowly put his hand on my lower back. I looked over his shoulder and Ella was staring at us. All of our friends were, actually. But they were grinning and laughing. But there was a look of sadness washed over Ella's face. When her eyes captured mine, she quickly glanced away, trying to look casual. Maybe I should break off my date with Joey. 

"So, nobody told me this was a dance party." Joey exclaimed. 

"Well, it was a surprise." I said with a smile. 

"I think it's awesome that you did this." He told me. 

"Thanks." I replied. I was quiet for a moment and he was too. But I decided I wanted to start something to help Ella. "Joey, what do you think of Ella?" He laughed.