13

Summer's POV

I waited for Michael's response, wondering why I had just blurted that out. Maybe it was because I couldn't say I would marry him without him knowing, or maybe it was because I felt like I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. He slowly separated his hand from mine and stood up, going back to his chair.

"How about some dessert?" the waiter walked up, interrupting the tense moment.

"We're in the middle of something," Michael snapped, his tone making me flinch. Some tears began to form and I willed for them not to stream down my cheeks. I wanted to seem strong even though I felt so weak right now.

"How long have you known?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and thought it through. "A little over four weeks," I concluded.

"You're telling me you've known about this for a month and you haven't thought to tell me?" He sounded outraged, running a hand through his light green hair. "When were you going to tell me? Obviously you didn't plan to do it tonight."

"I don't know," I was sobbing now, not able to control myself. "How do you think it's felt to keep this from you? I was terrified of how you would react."

"Well, I'm furious Summer! This is big news and you're ruining my proposal."

"It's not like I planned it. I didn't plan to get pregnant!" I wasn't expecting him to be happy exactly, but I didn't think he would be this mad about it. He's making it seem like I was purposely trying to sabotage the proposal.

"We promised no more secrets. First, you don't tell me about the orchestra audition and now this. What other secrets are you keeping?"

"None! I promise Michael. This is it," I wiped some of my tears away, but my shoulders were shaking from my sobs.

"I'm not sure I can believe that," he said, calmer this time. He snatched the small box with the most beautiful ring I've ever seen and shoved it in his pocket.

"What are you doing?" I asked, but he didn't answer. He got up and walked out of the restaurant, leaving me. I wanted to rush after him, but we hadn't paid and I wanted to give him some space to cool off.

"Just the bill?" the waiter asked, coming over after a few minutes.

I tried my best to stop sobbing and nodded. "Yes, thank you."

"Are you alright, miss?" he asked gently.

"No, but thanks for your concern." He walked away and came back with the bill, giving me a smile. I took out my credit card, placing it in the black booklet without looking at the total. After getting back my card, I walked out slowly hoping that Michael hadn't left yet.

Michael's POV

I couldn't believe it. I was going to be a dad. I wasn't anywhere near ready to be a dad. I wanted kids in the future sure, but after all this chaos died down. I was barely home, what good would that be for a child?

I sat in my car for a few minutes in the silence. I needed to do something instead of just sit there, so I turned my key in the ignition and sped off. I knew it was wrong, leaving Summer behind nowhere near our apartment, but I couldn't face her right now. She had betrayed my trust more than once in the last weeks.

My thoughts drifted back to my conversation with Calum. He had been so serious on the phone, telling me that he wanted things to "work out." I found myself in front of his house without realizing that's where I was driving. I climbed out of my car and banged on his door.

"Michael, hey. What's up?" He motioned for me to come in, but that's not what I wanted.

I fisted his shirt and pushed him against the outside of his house. "Tell me you didn't know!" I yelled in his face.

Calum's eyes were wide as he tried to push me off of him. "What are you talking about? I thought you were proposing tonight. What happened? Where's Summer?"

"Don't act so innocent. She told you didn't she?" My voice was laced with anger and betrayal. I could tell that he was trying to change the subject, not wanting to let on anything.

"Ok, ok. She told me when we got dessert the other day. She was freaking out and I coaxed it out of her."

I let go of his shirt and he relaxed a little. I pointed a finger in his face, "I don't want to speak to you ever again." I stormed back to my car and zoomed off down the road.

Summer's POV

Michael's car was gone from the parking lot. I knew we were somewhat close to where I lived before moving to Sydney, so I pulled out my phone and dialed the number of someone I knew I could trust.

"Sum," my brother's voice filled my ears.

"Hey," I tried to keep myself from crying again, but I was unsuccessful.

"What's wrong? What did he do now?" He always assumed when I was upset it was because of Michael. "Tell me, Sum. I'll hunt him down if I need to."

"I messed up," I sobbed, covering my mouth with my free hand.

"What do you mean? Tell me what happened," he said, his voice softer.

"I just need you to come get me," I said and told him where I was.

"Ok, but you need to explain everything when I get there."

"Please hurry." I held my cardigan tightly around me, not sure if I was cold from the cool night air or the feeling of emptiness.

ok, please don't hate me.. i'm so nervous to upload this. anyway vote and comment. thanks to everyone that's reading xx zoe

oh and new cover (: