This is not going to end well for either of us

"Mari, it's been too long. Open up, or I'm breaking down the door!" Alya called. 

 Because, of course it was her that was here to coax her out of her bedroom. To ask all the details about her new "encounter" with her brand new "friend." Of course she cared enough to show up and ask all the right-yet somehow annoying-questions that Marinette desperately wanted to never find out the answers to.

It would have been an annoying trait had it not been so endearing.

"It hasn't been too long!" Marinette scoffed back, "It's only been, like, what ... a day?"

Silence.

"Marinette. It's been a week."

She blinked in shock, eyes widening.

"A week?" she questioned her best friend warily, "No way. I don't believe you."

"It has been." Alya sounded annoyed now as she responded. "I mean, come on! You have to tell me what happened! All I know is that you met some guy." She huffed. "What's so significant about that that you have to lock yourself in your room for elongated periods of time!"

Marinette winced. The use of "significant" in that sentence bothered her, considering that the topic of her supposed "significant other" had come up.

"It's nothing, Alya!"

"If it's nothing then you would have come out of your room FIVE DAYS AGO WHEN I FIRST CALLED YOU."

"Hey! Maybe I was just ignoring you! You never know, right?"

"Marinette, I swear. If you don't get out here RIGHT NOW I'm gonna ... gonna..."

"What? You're gonna do what, Mrs. "I've Never Hurt A Fly In My Life." Kick down the door?"

"Hey, it's never too late to start, right?"

Marinette huffed once more, grumbling as she toppled on to her bed. This was the absolute worst. She couldn't handle seeing Alya, but she couldn't handle not seeing her either. It was a double-edged sword. Both options were wrong, and the only one left was to just hide in her room forever. 

She'd already begun planning for it. When nobody was around, she went out and snuck food or water. She grabbed extra toys and gadgets for entertainment. She even managed to snag her laptop when, miraculously, nobody had been looking.

She sighed into her ladybug bedsheets as she thought back to the events that had taken place the previous week. 

Everything had been going so well. Too well.

Sure, it started off rough. They had literally run into each other. It had hurt. A lot. But the shocking revelation that had occurred after the impact had made her forget or at least diminish the majority of her pain. 

Just like that, she had a soulmate. Her "one" that she was supposed to spend every second of evert moment with. Just being around. For the rest of her life. Her one true love. Who she was supposed to have and hold. In sickness and in health. For forever. And even after that.

No pressure, right?

And sure, they had fought and then argued and then talked and then kissed, but that didn't mean that they knew each other. That they somehow understood each others... well, everything! That wasn't how it worked.

Or, at least, not for Marinette.

In her eyes, they were still complete strangers.

Marinette shut her eyes tightly and opened them.