Bobby Nash: Fading

Bobby Nash x Reader

Summary: You're the wife and coworker to the Captain of the Los Angeles Fire Department. You notice he becomes distant after a new recruit shows up, and you decide to confront him about it once you've had enough.

Requested by nobitadorae

Warnings: An argument, mentions/accusations of cheating, minor cussing

Word Count: 1.8K

-

You and Bobby sat on the couch in your house with a huff. It was a long day, and it hadn't ended on a good note.

"It's not your fault Bobby." you cradled his head and rubbed his back. "It's not your fault." you whispered again. He stopped crying long ago, but you knew that look on his face, that look that only a wife would recognize.

"If only-"

"You can ask all the 'what if' questions or run through all of the 'if only' scenarios all you want. But you were there, and you gave it your best effort. I saw that, and you did your job to the best of your ability. You didn't want to give up, and that's what counts." He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, staying silent.

"C'mon, we better get to bed. The newbie is coming in tomorrow." you patted his back and took his hand tenderly, leading him to your shared bedroom.

You two were close, extremely close. Bobby was your best friend and life partner. And although, everyone told you not to marry anyone with the same profession as you, you couldn't resist. Many people talked about how dull and secretive he was after the incident with his first wife, but you gave him a chance and he opened up to you. His personality had completely changed. You understood each other and were able to help each other through the hard times. And despite the common chatter, there was never a dull moment with him.

You both woke up for work the next morning, starting your normal routine. Starting a pot of coffee, whining about how early it was, and racing to the bathroom to brush your teeth (whoever didn't make it first had to make breakfast). You always made sure you lost because you didn't want Bobby cooking your eggs, you we're picky with those. So because you made breakfast, he took the job of driving you both to the firehouse.

"Date night tonight, right?" you asked as you exited your car and made your way into the firehouse.

"Of course." Bobby smiled at you, holding the door open.

"Great! I saw this hole-in-the-wall joint that looked pretty interesting. I've been wanting to try it."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Captain Nash?" you both turned to see a young woman in a freshly pressed uniform.

"Hello, you must be our rookie. I'm (Y/N) Nash. Not captain, that's him." you chuckled and held your hand out to her. "Welcome to the team, glad to have you here."

"Thank you." she smiled stiffly. "I was told I would be shadowing for a few days, but it wasn't clear on who." her eyes darted between you and Bobby.

"I can take you," you prompted and turned to Bobby. "If that's alright?"

"You've got enough to handle honey. She can shadow me." he wrapped an arm around your shoulders. "I don't trust anyone else to do it correctly anyways."

"Such a sweetheart." you teased. "I'll see you in a bit, I've got a few things to take care of, but with this heat I'm sure we'll be called out soon."

"Sure thing." he waved the new girl over. "Let's get you introduced and we can start showing you the ropes around here."

You waved them both off as you retreated to your office. It was a weekday, so you hoped that things wouldn't be as bad. And confirming your suspicions, the team had gotten called out. "A barbecue gone bad." is what Buck had described it on your way out. They suited up and you, Henrietta, and Howie waited in the trucks with your medical bags.