Chapter 8 - Bliss

There were those moments when everything
came together and made sense, Feyre thought as she looked at Rhys.
Moments like that one- because Feyre thougjt again that she wholly and truly loved this kind, strong male. Not like it hadn't been obvious before, not like she hadn't said it before, just-
Sometimes, Feyre let her emotions take over her. She let the world stop then carry on as it wished. Nothing mattered in those bittersweet moments, just her feelings. Nothing mattere right now. The bittersweet bliss was common enough to Feyre- she was no stranger to sweet things turning sour. Things like relationships.
Feyre wasn't sure if it was the unusually sunny day bringing out the hidden optimism that rarely showed or simply intuition that told her this sweet thing would stay sweet forever.

Even just standing in Rhysand's living room, both could feel the electric, white hot spark between them. Well, Feyre hoped he did. There were no doubts about her feelings for Rhys. There never had been. And she didn't need a dramatic declaration, she didn't need a public announcement..
But there sort of had been one. Not that public, but enough for it to be the local gossip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rhys was furious when he found out. She didn't need to tell him all of it; he just saw the look on her face. He wasn't, of course, angry with her. No, he was angry at Tamlin.
Understatement of the century.
He was so, so angry, Feyre could see it...
But he just quietly asked if she needed anything. Three words rose up and died on her lips. Did she have the courage to say what she felt? Did she dare acknowledge that feeling?
Yes.
"I need you," Feyre forced out.
Rhys blinked. "But what is it you need, Feyre darling?" Fun, love, distractions?
Feyre took a deep breath and threw herself in the deep end, hoping she wouldn't drown.
"I need all of it, all of you. The good, the bad, all of it. I'm not going to judge you, Rhys."
Rhysand gave her his full attention, shifting on the couch to face her. His eyes were shining; not with mirth or laughter, but with sadness.
Tears! Had she done something wrong?
Had she done something right?
"You don't want me, Feyre. I'm not..I'm not good enough. Not for you. Not for anyone."
Feyre's heart shattered. Not for herself. For this beautiful male with a beautiful soul and a broken mind.
"I love you," she said. It wasn't a lie.
Feyre thought she saw a tiny, tiny piece of hope reflected in those beautiful violet eyes.
"You don't have to lie, Feyre," was the heart-wrenching answer she received.
"I love you," she said again, louder this time.
"I love you, Rhys. I'm not lying. And I will tell you a million times over if only so you'll believe me."
Violet eyes searched hers- not looking for an answer, but asking a question.
Yes, was the answer. Yes, I love you.
Those star-flecked eyes weren't the only things that told her he felt the same way.
"I love you, Feyre," he said at last.
And it wasn't pity or regret or sadness that shone in his eyes then.
It was love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
No one was really surprised when the press snapped a hasty picture of the two in a heated embrace a week later.
And no one was really surprised when they announced their engagement ten months into their relationship.
They were surprised, however, when Tamlin came by in person to give a heartfelt apology to both Rhys and Feyre, and donated hundreds of dollars to go towards an art classroom for Feyre. (It really did help, and within days, Feyre was receiving more money than she ever had. She was a very good teacher.)
They were also surprised when a little boy with violet eyes, night-dark hair and an artist's eye loudly announced that he wanted to be a painter like mommy.
Amias has always been a little out of the ordinary.

Fin.

(This is pretty much just tying up loose ends, so sorry it's a bit short)
A/N : Much like the title of the story, this chapter is bittersweet. It truly kills me to say goodbye to my this little universe of my own creation, but all stories must come to an end. I was so sad while writing the end, as stupidly emotional as that may seem.
So to the readers, so to the dreamers...
I hope you find your own sugar, and more than anything I hope it is not bittersweet as mine is.

This has been a journey, and this has been a lesson. I'm truly thankful for everyone who's helped me along this emotional train wreck.
And to show how much I've learned from all of you...
I've realised that sometimes it has to get sour before it turns sweet.