**Chapter two**

**Chapter two**

We watched the rest of the basketball game in silence and occasionally looked at each other but as soon as we made eye contact one of us would quickly look away. The ride home wasn't too loud either. Now that we don't have the crowd around Form the game, the space between Matt and I is dead silent.

"So.." I say trying to break the silence and make it less awkward.

"So.." Matt replied almost mimicking my tone of voice.

"Thanks for inviting me." I could see him looking at me in the corner of my eye like a little girl looks at the broccoli on her dinner plate. I know it's a little weird comparing an attractive guy to a little girl, but that's what he looked like.

"Um yeah. No problem." He pulled into his driveway and I got out and walked to my house without another word.

*****

"You need to get a job."

"Okay, I guess I could help out a little more. Where should I apply?" I asked my aunt while we were sitting in the kitchen after I woke up. Well, I really didn't wake up, I was never really asleep last night. I kept overthinking what my relationship with Matt would be like after yesterday. I didn't know if I should just not bring it up or talk about it a lot. I mean, we definitely weren't dating now, but was that some sort of sign to show that we should?

How would I even know if we should date? I thought he was a complete jerk the first time we met. Why would I even think about dating him? We kissed twice, but that was because of the kiss cam at the game. Was I his first choice to go with him? Did he ask his other friends? Or did Debra just tell him to ask me because she wanted us to be better friends? I had only slept a few hours before waking up again to think about our kiss more.

Did I like it? Yes. Did he like it? I don't know, and that's what got me stumped. How would I know if he liked it or not? I know he is attractive, very attractive, but does he think I am? Did he know when the kiss cam stopped putting us on the screen? Why didn't he stop kissing me when-

"Sarah? Did you hear what I said?" Aunt Maria brought me out of my thoughts.

"No, sorry, I zoned out. I guess I'm just a little tired, that's all!" I replied.

"Well, I said I am really good friends with the manager at Smoothie King in the mall, you could probably get a job there easily."

"Okay, I'll go get ready, then we can leave!" I was excited to finally earn my own money and have something to distract me from my thoughts.

I ran upstairs to get ready and I decided on a tank top with a pink flower pattern on it and high waisted white shorts. I slipped on my white vans and straightened my hair. I put on some mascara and chapstick and I was ready to go.

We drove the ten minutes to the mall with the radio loud in the car on 95.1. We listened to Animals, Blank Space, and Trumpets before the channel went to commercial.

My aunt Maria wasn't like a normal adult when it came to music, she likes it loud and hates listening to talk shows. She's pretty much a typical teenager when it comes to music in the car. That's why she's my favorite person to ride with.

When we got to the mall, we walked into the food court and I saw Smoothie King. Maria saw it too, and the manager, John, was there waiting for us. She must have called while I was getting dressed.

"Hi, I'm John, you must be Sarah!"

"Hello." I said as I shook his hand. He was dressed in jeans and a green "Smoothie King" shirt.

"You sound like perfect Smoothie King material, you're hired!" he said.

I was so surprised to be accepted so fast, I was expecting to have at least an interview, but I guess my aunt did a pretty good job telling John about me on the phone.

"You start tomorrow."

"Okay! Thank you so much!" My aunt and I stayed a little longer to get lunch from Chick-fil-a. We left the mall and headed home.