So Dead

Mira's POV

I walked in the house and this time I didn't try to hide. I am grown and need to be confident. Not like I did anything bad.

I walked towards the kitchen and nobody was there. I searched for everyone and nobody was in sight. I felt energetic today so I went straight to the wine warehouse to get to work.

I opened the door to my office and Enzo was sitting on the leather chair.

"Enzo? What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you. Dante is furious with you and he'll be here any moment."

"Why is he mad. He has no right interfering with my business. He needs to focus on himself then watch over me."

Enzo tried to clear his throat and warn me, but I kept yelling.

"Both of you need to quit being obsessed with my life and get your own."

Enzo was quiet and looked frightened for me.

"He's right behind me isn't he?" My voice lowered.

I turned around and Dante was standing there with his arms crossed glaring at me.

I nervously laughed at myself.
"Dante what a surprise."

Dante looked at Enzo and practically told him to scram. He got up in a second and walked out shutting the door behind him.

"Where were you Mira?"

I sat down on my swirly chair and looked up at him. Should I lie or tell the truth. Well truth it is.

"I- I was with Roman."

He silently judged me.
"Is that why you're wearing his shirt?"

Shit. I totally forgot.

"Before you get any-"

"Shut up Mira. You are only 19 years old. That is still too young for you to be fooling around with things you don't understand."

"Understand?! What is that supposed to mean?"

"You know damn well what I mean Mira!"

He made my blood boil I can't believe him right now.

"All I did was sleep at his house. SLEEP. I had only slept 5 hours and I was exhausted. Next time let me finish my sentence. You know what Dante go to work already, so I can get back to mine."

Dante was shocked that I finally stood up to him. I always respected his wishes, but this time I'm taking charge of my life.

He was opening his mouth to say something but changed his mind. He the walked out and slammed the door behind him.

For the next couple of hours I worked nonstop trying to makeup for yesterday's work.

I needed to go into the city and check out our store. We sold different types of wine, whiskey, and other brands.

I drove for 15 minutes and walked in. I made my way into the back and made sure business was going well.

"Hello Ms.Russo my name is Zoe. I'm new here."

"Nice to meet you. Are you the only one working today?"

"Yes, Carolina didn't even bother showing up today. She didn't even call to notify me."

"I'll do Carolina's work for today then. I'll talk to her when I stop by another time."

"Miss it's okay I can manage."

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad to do it, I have nothing else to do."

I cleaned the counters while Zoe swept. I wrote down every drink we sold on the notepad when the door sound opens. A familiar man walks in.

"Well I didn't expect to see you here."

"Um Robin right?"

"Ouch you forgot my name. It's Roberto."

"Right, what can I help you with?"

"A bottle of DEM please."

I walked over and took out a cold bottle of our wine from the fridge.

"DEM? Why did your father call it that?"

"The letters stand for Dante,Enzo, and Mira."

"Awesome smart man he is. So Mira is there any chance you can go to dinner with me sometime?"

"No I'm sorry. I'm actually seeing someone."

I saw that he closed his fist tightly until his knuckles turned white. I ignored it and changed the subject.

"Do you live around here?"

"Yeah I have a roommate. I moved down here a couple of months ago."

"Well I'll see you around, I should get back to work."

"Until we meet again Mira."

He walked out of the store and I went back to work.

It was 6pm now and it was closing time. I  closed up and went home.

When I walked in the front door the amazing smell of lasagna filled my nose. Mamma's cooking. I walked into the kitchen and helped my mom make a salad and prepare the garlic bread.

She set up the table while I took out the bread from the oven. Everybody was sitting at the dinner table waiting for me. I set the garlic bread down in the middle of the table and sat down across from my mother.

The table was pretty quiet. I know why already. They always make such a big deal out of it when I'm in trouble.

My father took a sip from his glass of water and glanced at my mother. She caught onto his signal and broke the silence.

"Mira how was work today?"

"Good actually. I finished some paperwork and worked at the store till closing time."

Enzo cut in after my response.

"Did you see Carolina. I hired her because of her looks."

"Well she won't have a job any longer since she doesn't show up."

"Wait! Don't fire her until I get a date with her."

"Request denied big bro."

Enzo filled his mouth with lasagna trying to hide his pouting. We ate a little more comfortable when Dante finally spoke.

"Mira."

I took a sip of my drink nervously waiting for him to put me on the spotlight over our argument.

"I'm sorry."

We all looked at each other because of his two words. Dante is too proud to ever apologize.

"It's okay."

"No it's not okay. I over reacted because I just want to protect you, but if you really like Roman I'll back off....a little."

"Thank you."

We ate our food comfortably the rest of the night. After my father and brothers left I helped my mother clean up. She put the food away while I washed the dishes.

"Sweetheart?"

"Si mamma?"

"Is it getting serious between you and Roman?"

"I-I guess so. I don't really know. It's too early to tell."

She gave me a comforting hug.
"Regardless I'm happy for you. Hopefully he is your first and last love."

The rest of the night in bed I thought about what my mother said. "Hopefully he is your first and last love."

There's no way I'm in love with him.

Wait am I?