This Kiss

• Dedicated to my entire family, for telling me to chase my dreams and post this, and to all of

Hola loves! How are you all doing today?

I promised this by tomorrow, but I got twelve reads in less than twelve hours and decided to publish it early. So I hope you enjoy the new first chapter! Please comment and vote if you enjoyed it! :) x

Caroline Forbes had tolerated much in the first eighteen years of her life. She had been broken and battered by her father, cast aside by her mother, rejected by man after man, turned into a blood-sucking monster, nearly killed by the venom of the boy who was supposed to love her, held hostage by Alaric, and almost killed by the man who she had trusted in her best friend’s kitchen. But now, as she watched Tyler drive away, she wiped away a tear as more came down her cheeks, covering her face from the porch of the house that had brought so much pain and continued to bring it, staring out into the dark night and wondering why this was happening, why he was leaving after promising her forever. She was always left behind, by everyone. Damon, Matt, Tyler, all the boys she thought had cared, had cast her aside like she was too low to be seen with them, like Elena, the perfect Elena, was the only person worthy of them.

As Klaus stepped out of the house, interrupting her thoughts, she spun around, standing up and slapping him across the face. He held his cheek in shock and stared at her, this beautiful creature who stood in front of him full of grief and anger. He reached for her hand but she simply backed away, stepping off the porch and shaking her head, tears of bitter anger running down her cheeks as she bolted towards home, towards her mother who was the only one with the capability to make everything all right.

Elizabeth Forbes glanced up at the sound of a door being slammed closed, and she stared at her daughter, her strong yet sensitive daughter who, at eighteen, had gone through more agonizing emotional and physical pain than most people do in a lifetime. Caroline ran up the stairs without glancing back, and Elizabeth let her be, knowing that her heart must be broken. She left Caroline alone until dinner, when she insisted her daughter eat the chicken Alfredo and drink her milk before heading to bed. Caroline did as she was told before heading up the stairs and off to bed, her face in her pillow when she felt Klaus standing next to her.

“Go away!” she snapped, even as she felt Klaus take a seat on the bed next to her, causing it to dip.

“Love-“ he began, but she cut him off quickly, her eyes flashing in anger as she turned to face him, tears still tracking down her face.

“Get out of my house now, Niklaus. Do not make me ask again.” She then turned back over, and he stared at her for just a few moments before allowing her peace and leaving the room.

They didn’t speak for almost a month.

Two months after Tyler left, Caroline answered his call expecting him to inform her that she was worth the danger of him coming home, but instead listened to him tell her about Hayley’s pregnancy with his child. She hung the phone up only seconds later before heading to Klaus’s house, pushing past a startled Rebekah and an amused Kol. She walked into his bedchambers, as Rebekah called the groups of rooms, and slapped him across the face yet again. The second time, though, he was expecting it and grabbed her hand, pressing it to his lips and waiting for her to calm down, at which point, with a sob of pure pain, she fell against his chest, giving him just enough time to catch her before she was punching his chest lightly, taking out all of her heartache on him. He simply stood there, allowing the punches, allowing the sadness, allowing the violence. He stood there and he was there for her, like no one else was. And in that moment, Caroline Forbes knew, without a doubt, that all the emotions that Klaus felt for her were those of love, a love passionate enough to give up every ounce of his control and allow her to hit and slap him to her heart’s desire because he wanted to feel the pain that she felt, to be a part of her heart and her world. 

They began spending time together, more than they ever had before, learning all there was to learn about each other and appreciating the beauty in the everyday miracle of life. He could make her laugh and cry with just a few words and lived to see her smile, to know he had brought the beautiful creature that was Caroline Forbes an immense amount of joy just by being himself. He loved her, after all, the first time he had felt the emotion in over a thousand years, and he knew without a doubt that she was his soul mate, the one God had intended for him to live out his eternity with.

When she started seeing him as more than a friend, she didn’t tell him, not wanting to see his smug smirk at being right once again. She admitted it to herself though, in the darkness of night on the eve of her nineteenth birthday, and that, in itself, was what mattered.

When she failed her Shakespeare test two weeks before graduation, he stayed up with her all night to teach her all about the English poet and author, and he bought her a cake when she succeeded. When she graduated, he took her out to dinner and bought her a refrigerator for her college dorm. She was slowly falling in love with the man she was supposed to hate.

She knew that it shouldn’t be happening, but when he took her to dinner and they kissed on her porch, she felt nothing but immense joy, joy at the fact that someone wanted her and not Elena. And when they went up the stairs, she knew, at least for a few moments, that the world consisted of only them.

For once in her life, she was all that mattered.

Hi, guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment and vote if you did! Leave constructive criticism if you want to! :)

Alright, loves, that’s all for now!

Love,

K