Chapter 22

You woke up to sound of water running in the bathroom. Jughead was no longer next to you, but he had wrapped a couple of blankets around you and you were still warm. You sat up slowly and glanced around. Sunlight was coming through the blinds, and you could hear heavy chatter outside.

"Jug?" You called sleepily. After a moment the bathroom door opened. Jughead walked out, while drying his hair. His shirt was still slightly clinging to his chest, a sure tell sign that he didn't dry off all the way. You made a face and laughed as he hung up the towel.

"Why didn't you dry off all the way?" You asked.

"I heard you call." He said sheepishly. You realized that in order for him to have heard you he must have been listening.

"How'd you sleep?" You asked him, as he sat on the edge of the couch.

"Fine. What about you?" He asked. As if on cue, you yawned and stretched.

"Best I've slept in a while, but still kind of tired. What time is it?" You asked.

"A little after nine." He said. Your eyes instantly widened and you sat up abruptly.

"Oh crap! I have to get home. My mom is getting up for work in like thirty minutes." You told him.

"Right, lets go." He said, before grabbing a pair of keys. "We have to go through the back."

You took a peek out of the window and frowned. Just like yesterday, a few reporters were gathered outside of the door. You followed Jughead out of the back door, and he handed you a helmet. You quickly strapped it on and sat on the back of the bike. You wrapped your arms around his lower torso, and he winced.

"Jughead, you really need to get that checked out." You stated seriously. "I don't want you putting up with more than you have to."

You loosened your grip and waited for him to respond.

"It's just a bruise." He said quietly. "I'll be fine."

You sighed, but decided not to argue as he started the bike.

*FIFTEEN MINUTE TIME GAP*

Jughead slowly parked the bike along the curb and climbed off. You did the same and sighed sadly.

"What are you going to do today?" You asked. You didn't want him to spend more time inside of his trailer than he had to. You could imagine him sitting around with nothing to do but wait for the time to pass.

He looked away, almost apologetically and frowned.

"I think.." he paused and looked at you, searching your eyes for god knows what. "I'm going to visit my dad."

It took you a moment to process what he was saying. "What? Why?!" You asked. Jughead sighed and looked down the street, as if he were expecting someone to walk down any second.

"I need answers, y/n. He's the only person right now who can give them to me." He said.

"Answers? What more do you need? It's like you're purposely poking at a sleeping bear, Jug. You're finally free, you can move forward. Enjoy it." You said. You couldn't keep the condescending tone out of your voice. Jughead looked away, and began to climb back onto his bike.

"Never mind, y/n. Forget I even said anything." He mumbled. "You should go before your mom wakes up."

"What time are you planning to visit?" You asked him. Jughead nervously adjusted the straps on his leather gloves, and started the bike.

"Not sure." He said dismissively. You bit your lip and looked over your shoulder, half expecting your mom to be tearing down the street in anger.

"Are you sure you want to do this alone?" You asked him.