Chapter 1

"MAE! OVER HERE!" I turn in the direction of the voice and see my 3 best friends already sitting at our usual lunch table. I make my way over to 'our' lunch table and give them each a quick hug.

"Did you guys hear about the masquerade ball that's coming up?" Emma exclaimed as I sat down next to her. I sighed.

The masquerade dance at our school is known as the dance where practically every couple is made. Last year, I was the only one that didn't go. Why? Because every guy that asked me wasn't the guy I was looking to go with.

There was one guy in particular that I wanted to ask me but he never got round to it, which is why I didn't go last year.

"Heard all about it." Joel said, bobbing his head to the music blaring through his earphones. Blake chuckled.

"Already way ahead of ya. I asked out Tegan and she said yes."

We all "awwed". Blake has always had a crush on Tegan Bishop, one of the sweetest girls at our school, but never had the nerve to ask her out.

Emma sent me a wicked grin signalling she was up to no good what so ever. I'd know, seeming as we've been friends since 1st grade. She quickly looked over at Joel. My eyes widened.

"Hey Joel?" I could hear the smirk in her voice.

"What's up?" Joel replied, removing his earphones. Sometimes I regret telling Emma things like this.

"Who are you gonna take to the masquerade ball?" Joel shot me a quick smile making my heart race; "Actually.. Umm.. I was thinking about asking out Jenna."

My heart sank. Emma's smile dropped. Yeah, thanks for that Emma. Emma shot up from the cement bench, "You are telling me you're going to ask out the school slut?!" she whisper shouted.

Okay, let's rewind real quick. Jenna was known for being the shy, sweet girl, but was mainly known for having feelings for the schools bad boy. Harry Styles. And also known as my ex best friend.

Her and Harry decided to kick it off and start going out as a couple, which shocked everyone and most of all me. She knew that Harry and I hated each other and that he used to bully me but she didn't listen when I told her he was trouble.

Long story short, the devil possessed my ex best friend, taking her virginity and dumping her like rubbish. Me, being the big hearted person I am, tried to comfort her but she shut me out, leaving me heart broken.

I lost someone that meant the world to me and she threw me out like I was rubbish. Like Harry did to her.

The next week she came backs different person. The chick all the guys wanted and drooled over. She started hanging out with Rachael Griffiths and the rest of the 'Plastics' and became one herself.

It was really hard for me to see my best friend shut me out like that but it's all over and done with now. The only thing that takes over my heart now is Joel Williams, the heartthrob of the school. And the only thing I'll be known to him as is his best friend.

Joel stays quiet. I couldn't take it. I stood up and ran to the girls toilets, tears running down my cheeks. If Emma hadn't opened her mouth everything would still be fine.

Joel was the other heart throb of the school, apart from Harry. There was the bad heart throb and the sweet, loving heart throb. My Joel.

Joel and Harry hated each other for the longest time. Which was another reason Harry hated me.

I look up at myself in the bathroom mirror. My heart feels cold and empty. Is this how Jenna felt when Harry dumped her? Because she obviously turned cold and heartless.

I clean up the mascara running down my cheeks and walk out of the bathroom. I know Emma is probably searching everywhere for me so I send her a quick text saying I'm fine and I'm heading home. I make my way to the school office and tell them I'm not feeling well.

I call my mum and sit down on the hard plastic green chairs, lean my hair against the wall and slowly shut my eyes.

Maybe it was all for the best. I don't need guys right now anyway. I was stupid to think he even liked me. After around 15 minutes of lecturing myself in my mind, my mum finally walks into the office.

"Aww, hun you don't look too good." My mum says, patting my head. I grab my backpack and wait for her to sign me out. "Let's get you home."

My mum shouts out a quick 'thank you' to the office ladies before we walk out of the building.

We hop in the car and I turn on the radio. I fiddle with it until one of my favourite songs comes on, which doesn't help me with this whole Joel situation. I sigh and lean my head against the window, closing my eyes.