HUNGOVER & HAPPY

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and bright sunlight streaming through the living room blinds. I slowly rolled over keeping my eyes shut for the light was too much to bear. I felt around the cushions on the couch searching for my phone to check the time.

6:50

I literally had 20 minutes to be in class on time, and as I looked down at myself, I was a mess. I had sweated through my hoodie, had a reeling headache, reeked of liquor, and my mascara was smeared from not taking it off the night before. I held on to the couch to help guide me as I stood up. I sighed in agony as I looked at the burden before me, the stairs. I climbed up one by one feeling unbelievably exhausted once I reached the top. I pushed open my bedroom door slowly trying not to awake my sister who was fast asleep. I grabbed two towels and a wash cloth and headed to the shower.

I grimaced at the sight of dried puke on my clothing as I took them off and set them in the dirty laundry. Seeing the black and purple bruise along my hip sent my mind on a frenzy trying to put together how I got such a massive injury. I turned the handles on the faucet running my hands under the water until the temperature was just right. Turning off the bathroom light, I decided to shower by candle light, to soothe my headache. I stepped into the shower and as the water ran over my body I ran my fingertips over my bruise, wincing every time I touched it too hard. With my other hand I undid my ponytail, as I turned around facing away from the water, tilting my head back as the cool water massaged my scalp. I moaned softly as the water seemed to wash away every pain and ache of the night before. After I bathed I had felt so much better. I shut off the water and stepped out, wrapping one towel around my body and the other I tied up my hair with. I blew out the candles one by one inhaling deeply as I did so to take in the aroma.

Great now what am I going to wear. I thought to myself as I walked into my bedroom shutting the door behind me. I pulled out panties and a sports bra out of the top drawer as I looked at the clothes hanging up in the closet. Shaking my head I decided to go with gray sweatpants and a white hoodie.

I’m hung over who cares.

Running down the stairs, now fully dressed I grabbed my phone and keys from the living room and in replacement of my book bag I took a pair of sunglasses. Going into the downstairs bathroom I pulled out a container of gel from the medicine cabinet which I then took a heaping handful and ran it through my sopping wet hair, flipping my head over as I did so.  I went to go sit on the bottom stair pulling my tennis shoes on then finally leaving the house. I yawn as I make my way through the gate, officially on school grounds a couple of minutes later. I walk up the stairs of the main building headed to 1st period. I stare blankly as I walk, unaware of the fact that I’ve ignored people walking past, waving hi. I make it to class right before the tardy bell, sliding into my desk and laying my head down.

I’m not doing shit today. I announce upon myself as our teacher hands out packets of class work. The day seems to float by as I drift from class to class, still hungover until 3rd period. 

Cali asks me to come with her to Ms. Brook's class. 

"Hi Ms.Brooks" I say as I slowly walk into her classroom. Cali sits in Ms.Brooks chair and motions for me to sit in the chair beside her. 

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" She looks up from her papers to question us as I sit down. 

" We're just chilling" Cali answers for the both of us. Ms. Brooks nods her head as she walks out the door leaving us alone in her classroom. We sit and talk and a couple minutes later Talia walks in looking for Ms.Brooks. I run up and hug her.

"She just left to go somewhere, we don’t know, stay in here with us though," I offer to her. I haven't seen her all day. She sits in one of the desks and I go to sit next to her. I start to tell her about what happened last night while Cali listens to her music. As she starts to sing I start making fun of her, teasing her.

"Bitch let whoever sings the song sing it cause you messing it all up," I say crossing my eyes at her. Cali stands up and walks over to me and slams her hands on my desk almost making me fall over.  I laugh wondering what act she's going put up now. She leans in close to me...

"Shut The Fuck Up."She smiles at me before turning around to start singing again.  I laugh as she gets even louder. I cover my ears with my hands and shake my head. 

"She's going to get us in trouble." I say looking at Talia, laughing. She rolls her eyes and smiles at me.

"That’s your friend not mine"

 I stick my tongue out at her and turn around to face Cali whose standing in front of my desk again. She starts singing a new song to me making me laugh even harder. I push her away but she just leans in closer, smiling at me knowing that she’s getting on my nerves. I realize that the way she's standing I can’t even move out my desk, so I'm trapped. I cross my arms and start to pout. 

"You can move now." I state hoping she'll finally be done.

But of course she doesn't.

She gets even closer but Talia drops something, making Cali jump back and start singing again. I laugh and roll my eyes. Talia stands, pulling me up and motioning me to go out into the hallway. I hug Cali and tell her I'll be back and not to kill anybody with her singing.

Talia and I walk the halls for a good 10 minutes before she stops abruptly and asks me.

"Okay so what was that?" She says looking at me. I laugh and shake my head. 

"what was what?" I ask walking past her. She grabs my arm pulling me back. She looks like she's about to smack the shit out of me which makes me laugh harder.

"I'm serious Talia, what was what?" I ask her for the second time.

"You two are extremely flirty..." 

"No we weren't," I stop laughing to show her I'm serious."We were playing around chill. We’re always like that." Talia rolls her eyes again. I was sick of her questioning my friendship.

"Keep rolling your eyes and they’re going to get stuck like that" I say laughing at her and grabbing her hand. I pull her around the corner down the hall to the Cafeteria. 

"Come on lets go get something to eat." I offer, and she finally drops the subject. 

As lunch came to an end I started to think to myself, what if that was something. I walk out of the cafeteria with Talia and her boyfriend. I see Cali chasing after Bria and I smile.

Well that’s a first I say realizing that what happened between us was actually nothing. I laugh to myself watching both of my best friends happily off. It brought happiness to me to know that they were both taken care of in a way that most people wouldn’t understand. I had to put my feelings away and just care for Cali as a friend. That’s what she always was to me a friend, first and for most.

I just couldn’t help the fact that she was so damn cute.