Prologue

———Naomi Hanscom———

"Naomi, wake up! It's the last day of school before summer break!" I am rudely brought out of my slumber by a voice that belongs to none other than my twin brother, Ben.

Ben and I are fraternal twins meaning we don't look alike and we have very different personalities.

I sigh rolling my eyes and proceed to cover my face with my blanket. Maybe if I just lie here quietly he'll leave me be.

"Nomi, seriously get up!" He uses my nickname, knowing it will encourage me. Next thing I know, the blanket is ripped off of my body and the curtains are torn open.

Of course he couldn't just leave me alone! I groan before quickly standing to my feet and shoving Ben out of my room, locking the door behind him.

I continue to grumble (mainly to myself) because Ben wouldn't let me sleep even a few minutes longer. Man, I need a better brother.

Once I finally let go of the rude awakening, I decide it's probably a good idea to get ready. I quickly run a brush through my hair and throw it up into a ponytail (not the best, but this will have to do) and then brush my teeth as well. I rush over to my dresser and pull out a plain white shirt and some black sweatpants. If I'm not gonna be in bed might as well pick the next best thing, comfortability.

When I'm finally in the look I've chosen I glance at myself in the mirror, I'm not completely happy with what I see but I ignore the burning feeling in my chest. I give myself one last scowl before heading down the stairs and looking for Ben.

It doesn't take long to find him seeing as he's in the living room attempting to get our mother, Arlene, off of the couch (where she is passed out, most likely high off pills) and up to her bedroom. She provides no assistance and won't even move when he tries to wake her. He lets out a groan of frustration.

"Ben, just leave her," I speak.

It shouldn't be like this, we shouldn't have to do this. It's not right. It's not fair. Nothing is.

"I can't!" He raises his voice and it cracks.

I sigh before enveloping my brother in a tight hug.

"She'll be fine right here," I speak again, my voice gentle.

"When do you think we'll be fine?" He looks at me expectantly and I widen my eyes, not sure how to answer.

Ben always acts so strong, but he breaks, I know he does. And that hurts me so badly.

"We are fine." I reply.

"Do you think we'll ever be more than that? More than fine?" He questions me again.

"Where is this coming from?" I wonder aloud.

"Just asking," He shrugs his shoulders and starts towards the door.

"Hey, wait up!" I call after him racing to keep up.

___________________________