43

"Thanks for the food. I would never have thought you to be a great cook." I smiled at him as he took the plates to the sink.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover. Although I love a book with a great cover."

"You read?" I didn't mean it to come out as a surprised tone but it did. He dropped the plates and walked over to my chair, crossings his arms.

"You really, really underestimate me. What next are you going to be surprised about? The fact that I've never gotten less than a B in my grades and I don't even fuck the teachers for it?"

"No. That's extreme. I'm sorry. So what kind of books do you read?"

"Action , horror, mystery.."

"Romance." I added.

"Nope. Don't do that. It's so predictable."

Or you don't just like romance. Sometimes I think boys say they don't like romance just to sound tough. Cartoons too. Once I met a guy who admitted to watching spongebob and rabbids invasion and I thought it was sweet.

"Oh! Okay."

"Are you okay?" He popped in the question out of nowhere. Am I okay? Why would he think I was not.

"Yes, I am. Why did you ask?"

"You look like your body is here and your mind is far away."

"How do I look like that? We're having a conversation."

"That's all about you doubting I have any skills."

"You're right about that. But my mind is here. Ask me anything about what we've discussed in the last five minutes."

"How many books have I read?"

"What? We didn't discuss that." I'm sure we didn't. Although we might have since we were talking about books.

"We did." He stated firmly. After a few seconds of me trying to think, he burst out laughing. "We didn't. I don't even know how many books I've read but it was fun watching you rack your brain."

"Seriously?" I frowned.

"I was only joking with you, jeez. You're ugly when you frown."

I frowned even more.

"Shit! It's past seven. I should be leaving."

"Leaving?". Oh my God! Why did I say that? Was I expecting him to stay the night? "Um, okay. Call me when you get home safely."

"I sure will." He bent to kiss my cheek and headed for the door. "Make sure you lock all doors and windows." He shouted over his shoulders.

"Yes dad." I shouted back and proceeded to do as he said. He didn't need to remind me. Aunt Marie always called every night to remind me to lock all windows and doors.

_________________

"Relevant theory holds that communicating is  fundamentally a collaborative process that involves production of signal by the speaker and contextualization of the signal by the hearer. Listening skills......"

This English class could win an award for the most boring class ever. School just makes everything seem harder than it actually is. Communication is easy until you have to write a five paged note on communication skills. Right now, I feel like I've been communicating wrong my whole life.

"Hey." Cameron pulled a seat beside me and sat down. I looked up and saw the former occupant of the seat moving over to Cameron's previous seat. "So you managed to avoid me two periods straight. Why?"