60. Peace (Epilogue)

May 1961
The White House, Washington, D.C, United States of America

"This way, Sir," the suited man said, gesturing Dario and Oliverio to follow him. They walked down the hallway. On the walls hung portraits of dead men, men who built the United States of America. 

Oliverio's eyes held a curious wonder as he glanced at the portraits. The austere grandeur the hallways of the White House held amazed him. Never would he imagine that he would stand in this very building, the seat of power in the western world, called here by the President to receive a medal. 

On the contrary, Dario maintained a cool demeanour. He was acutely aware of the reason behind Kennedy's decision to award them medals for bravery. He remembered the Bay of Pigs incident with vivid clarity. Kennedy had left them in the lurch, like disposable pawns that had served their purpose. These medals were intended to gloss over that fact, to boost his public image. Dario did not want any more part in this murky world of politics. 

An intricately designed white door stood at the end of the hallway, open. The man who had been leading them thus far smiled and signaled for them to head in. Dario and Oliverio entered the Oval Room to a round of applause. 

A host of reporters circled around the President's desk, lights blinking from their cameras as they snapped photographs. President John F. Kennedy stood by his desk, a wide smile draped across his face. He wore a clean pressed suit, and his golden hair was shaped into a pompadour, just like the photos in the papers. 

His sharp blue eyes took in the sight of the two Cubans, and their corners curled up, forming faint hints of crow's feet. 

He spread his arms, taking Dario first into an embrace. Dario reciprocated, if only because of the presence of reporters. He felt a cold chill run through his heart as he wrapped his arms around Kennedy's back. Kennedy then took Oliverio Chang into another hug, before breaking off. His aide stood behind him with a tray in hand. Splayed out across the shiny metal tray was two medals.

The President faced the cameras with a grin. He spoke, in his honeyed yet firm voice. "Today we gather here to celebrate the bravery of these two young men, who have escaped Cuba. Dario Ruiz, a survivor of the Bay of Pigs operation, and Oliverio Chang, a defector. As a token of recognition of the bravery of these two individuals, I hereby bestow upon them.."

Just from standing in the highest office of the United States, Dario felt queasy. Kennedy's words entered one ear of his, only to exit the other. His words rang hollow. What did it matter? Shiny medals. Sugary praise. All of these meaningless showmanship when hundreds lay dead on the shores of the Playa Girón, and a thousand more suffered in Fidel's prisons, because Kennedy withdrew his air support, and refused to send in his marines, leaving the exiles to the mercy of their enemies. 

A white hot sensation filled his head, and he gasped for air, feeling claustrophobic in the face of the reporters. Yet, he maintained a cool facade. The next thing he knew was Kennedy finishing his speech, and hanging a medal around his neck. He nodded, smiled at the cameras, to a respectful applause. Kennedy then moved on to Oliverio, who received the same ovation. 

After a few more words by the President, the press dissolved, the ceremony apparently over. Kennedy once more approached the two Cubans. He placed a hand on Dario's shoulder, saying, "It must have been hard for you, Mr. Dario Ruiz. I know my words cannot replace the good men who died in the operation. I assure you that although the invasion did not go as planned, we have plans in place to negotiate with Castro for the release of the other exiles."

He turned to Oliverio. "As for you, you have demonstrated great bravery and skill in rescuing your comrade. I would like to say that the United States welcome both of you as one of our own with open arms."