Break up #26

I've been with Amber for almost a year, and its been a good year. Tonight I am going to surprise her with a promise ring.

I pick her up at her sisters in the next city from me.

"Well hello gorgeous" I say leaning towards her cheek for a kiss.

She smiles but its not convincing.

"what's wrong Amber? "

Amber lets out a sign and looks away from me.

"I can't go with you to dinner tonight"

she bites her lip. Whatever is going to come out her mouth, isn't good.

"Look, I love you. A lot, but I need to explore my options. It's not that I dont love you but I am not feeling like I love you." I rub my eyes and start the car.

I've unfortunately been through this too many times, I've heard those same words a thousand times. Its not you, its me

"okay, get out Amber" She looks at me funny, her face looks surprised by my reaction. Probably because I am used to this kind of rejection.

"why aren't you mad?" she kinda feels hurt by my lack of sympathy.

"I cant be mad for everything, yeah I am hurt but I will get over it Am. Sorry but I am not going to hold you against your will" Her face is flushed and red.

"Fine, have it your way. Goodbye Aiden" she steps out the car and slams the car door.

It was after the 6 th girl that broke up with me when I realized that crying in front of her wasn't the best thing to do in front of a girl. I had to simply act like it didn't bug me. However, whenever I got to a safe place, I cried and ate ice cream like a teenage girl.

About 15 minutes later I walk into my apartment. I pull out the small black box from my pocket and set it on the counter.

"you're back early" my roommate Marc says eating a cheeseburger.

"yeah. I am gonna go to bed. See you in the morning Marc" I undress out of my dress shirt and slacks and stay in my boxers.

The thing about Amber is that she was always indecisive. About everything. From clothes to food to whether or not she wanted to wear her hair down or in a pony tail. She wants to explore her options? I could think a hundred more ways to break up with someone less pathetic than that. Its like telling someone their not good enough and if they find someone better well than you can sit alone in your room as they go out and have the time of their life.

Instead of torturing myself about Amber, I close my eyes and sleep.