What's all this then?

Sometimes as writers we write ourselves into problems that we don't have answers to: how much dynamite would it take to explode a dragon? How could werewolves transform without magic? How big does a meteorite need to be to destroy a city? What exactly is Valyrian Steel made of?

This is a forum for getting your writing questions answered by a professional scientist. Technically a former professional scientist. Now I teach science and engineering at a university. My particular specialty is general physics and materials science, but I've had the good fortune to have a pretty broad range of study.

For fun and the benefit of the community that's been kind to me here, I thought I'd offer to answer your fictional questions with the most scientific answers I can. 

Rules

Rules

1. Fill out the form below completely and enter it as a new comment on this page. 

2. One at a time. Please only submit one question at a time. You can submit another after the previous has been addressed. 

3. I reserve the right to not answer any question. I can't be an expert on everything and I don't have time to give detailed answers to everything. I will, however, reply to your request and let you know if I'm not going to be able to answer you particular question.

4. Be nice. This is for fun and learning. If I make a mistake or you disagree with something, that's fine. I'm glad to be corrected, but be nice about it. No arguments. Anything approaching uncivil will get shut down regardless of who is or isn't correct. 

5. Be Patient. Real life and my actual students come first so I may not always be timely. Also, some questions require more research than others, so I may not get to them in order. 

6. Check existing questions before you submit yours. If you want the same question answered, comment on that thread. That makes me more likely to answer it.

Form

Your Name:

Genre: Sci-fi/high fantasy/ urban fantasy/ historical realism/etc.

Level of desired detail: Middle-school/ high-school/university/ etc.

Question:  

Notes:  <page references, links,  or specific details that might be needed to address your specific fiction.>