Chapter 2

I hadn't ridden a horse since that fateful day six months ago. Even though it hurt me, I sold Cookie to a friend from school, who has been looking for a horse.

"She's well tamed," I say, and I give one last rub on Cookie's head and watch as they loaded her up into the trailer and hauled her off, away from me. I've been packing slowly, trying to figure out what I can fit into a carry-on. I stood in the doorway of my mom's room, looking at all the stuff she had from her younger days. I slowly walk through her room, stopping at the jewelry box that was on the dresser. I open it and am immediately flooded with memories of her wearing them. One was her barrel racing champion ring. I take it out and slip it onto my finger, which is a perfect fit. It was a simple horseshoe design with the year 1990 on it and small gemstones surrounding the horseshoe. I close the jewelry box and continue around the room to see a couple of picture frames on the nightstand. I pick it up and smile at the memory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seven years ago

"Smile for the camera, Olivia," Carter says, laughing. I was skittish about being on the horse, and mom climbed on behind me, remotely freaking me out.

"Hey, she's not going to hurt you." My mom says in her soothing voice. I relax and turn towards the camera, showing off the biggest smile of happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put that one on the bed and pick up the other one. It was me with Cookie, my first horse. I was about 13 at the time. My mom was standing next to me, arm wrapped around my shoulders in her signature plaid shirt, cowgirl hat, blue jeans, and cowboy boots. Her blue eyes were shining into the camera.

"I love ya, mom," I whisper, feeling tears run down my face. I look around the room, and after grabbing the two picture frames, walk back into my room and finish packing, gently laying the frames in between the clothes. I wasn't sure if I was able to save everything since I was moving north to Montana, so I grabbed the few things that had sentimental value to me and packed them. I grab everything else I need and then last minute, grab the small amount of jewelry I had. I zip up the suitcase and then pack a purse for the plane. I finish that and then walk into the kitchen where Carter was making something.

"You doing okay?" He asks.

"With the circumstances, I think so," I reply. We buried my mom a week after the incident, which was worse in and of itself, reminding me that she isn't coming back. Carter holds out a present for me. I smile and take it, opening it to find a cell phone and a bank card.

"The bank card? Carter, you don't have to." I try to give it to him, but he shakes his head.

"It's yours. Your mom gave me access to it if something happened, and since she would want the best for you." I lose all composure and break down in tears, Carter's arms come around me, and I cry into his shirt. I calm down and look up at him. "I'm here if you need me." He kisses me on the head and then grabs the plane ticket for me. I pocket the phone and put the card in my wallet, grabbing my items to bring out to the truck. I grab my phone, realizing it has a camera, and I try taking pictures of the house, my room, and Oliver, Carter, and I.

"Till I see you again, Oliver," I say, rubbing Oliver's belly. I load up into the truck, and we drive towards the airport, me watching till I can't see the house in the side mirror anymore. My hat sits on my knee and I finger the design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You can't be a cowgirl without a hat," Mom says, holding a straw hat that folded up on the sides, a black ribbon across the hat with a turquoise ribbon. She puts it on my head, and I smile at it, my long brown hair flattened by the hat. I reach up to give her a kiss and then a hug.

"Thank you, mama, I love it."

"I'm glad you do." She says in her southern accent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mom was from Texas, so her roots are here. In a way, mine was as well. I kind of have the southern accent, although not as noticeable as my mom's. I watch the familiar landscape turn into the concrete jungle known as Waco. We lived about thirty minutes outside of the city and Carter navigates the streets well, soon pulling up to the airport. He parks in the visitor parking and we get out, grabbing my stuff as we walk towards the door and I put my hat on. We check the ticket and then Carter walks with me through the airport, pulling me towards a seating area before security.

"Here, I wanted to give you these." He holds out a small book to me, and I take it, noticing there's an envelope in a pocket inside the front cover. "Don't open it till you're in Montana." Tears come to the surface and I brush them away quickly, tucking the book into my bag. We stand up and he hugs me tightly and I try to remember how he smells so I don't forget about him. "Safe travels and sometimes, I wish you were my kid."

"I wish you were my dad," I reply. He lets me go, and I walk towards security, doing what they tell me, and then I get my stuff back. I stand out of the way of other travelers and we make eye contact, a smile, and then a wave which I return. I turn and start walking towards the gate for my plane. I didn't have to wait long as they started boarding people. I give the lady my ticket and walk through the tunnel onto the plane. I find my seat number and put my bag in the overhead and take my place next to the window and lookout. I see Carter standing by the window, waving. I return it just as the flight attendants do their thing and then shortly after, the pilot tells us that it's about a 10 hr flight and I settle in for the long flight, watching the state I grew up in disappear as we fly higher and higher into the clouds.