Chapter 3

When I wake up I'm in a bed and there's sunlight streaming in through a window making me roll over onto my other side with a groan. It was only after I had done so that I realised I was not alone in said bed and that moving had caused me to essentially cuddle up to Nik's bare side. Despite this I didn't move because, frankly, sleep was more important to me than the fact that I was using Nik as a human teddy bear.
I felt as he laughed, making his chest rumble. 'I see that even after two months you are still not a morning person, Little Wolf.' He comments lightly, the hand that had been resting at my waist moving to brush a strand of hair from my face.
'Nor will I ever be. Believe me it's a miracle I even attended school at all the past year.' I inform him as I move away from his side and stretch, running a hand through my hair. I yawned as I sat up. 'Where's Stefan?' I ask as I look around the empty motel room.
'Off chasing Bambi somewhere I'd imagine. We're off to find Ray at that bar when he returns.' Nik tells me and I laugh at his comment about Stefan's 'vegetarian' lifestyle.
'I'd best get ready then.' I get out of bed and lift my bag from the floor in the corner before I head into the bathroom to get ready for the day. After a shower I settled on some blue jeans that hugged my every curve and a white lace cami, and my hair fell down in it natural curls. I ruffled my hair a little with my hand and brushed my teeth before gathering my things and leaving the bathroom.
I dug through my backpack that was sitting in the corner beside where my other bag had been until I found a necklace that I had bought last year, it was actually a layered necklace, it had several chains of different lengths, each with its own pendant; a crescent moon, an arrowhead, a wolf's fang and a feather. I tried to put it on but was having trouble with the clasp until Nik came up behind me and, shifting my hair over my shoulder, took the necklace and clasped it effortlessly before he took a step back.
'Thanks.' I told him just as the door opened and Stefan walked in. 'Morning Stefan.' I greeted but he just nodded in response.
'I'll get ready and then we'll be off.' Nik said as he disappeared into the bathroom and I made sure that I had all my things together before I made the bed and then scrolled through recent news articles on my phone to pass the time while we were waiting for Nik. He didn't take long, coming out in a grey henley and some jeans with his usual boots and his necklaces resting at his collar bone. 'Shall we?' We headed out towards the car and Nik drove us to the bar known as Southern Comfort.
'So what's the plan then?' I asked them once we had pulled up outside the bar.
'Well, we were going to compel all the people inside the bar before Ray arrives.' Nik begins and I can already tell what the next thing he was about to say was.
'And I am to be the distraction, yes?' He looks to me with amusement in his eyes at my ability to predict his moves. 'Alright then.' I lifted my backpack and opened the car door. 'But you owe me a drink, two if he gets handsy or creepy.' I tell Nik as I get out, briefly catching a dark look in his eyes before I close the door and walk into the building and sitting on a stool at the bar ordering a bourbon. The bartender gives me a look but shrugs and gets the drink, not going to turn down a customer because I'm underage.
I'm sipping the drink when the bartender calls out; 'What's up Ray?'. Turning I see a man approaching he had long dirty blonde hair and was wearing a check shirt.
'Hey, Red. Can I get a beer?' He sits down on the stool next to me, I could feel his gaze on me as I focused on my drink. 'Hey, I'm Ray, what's your name?' He asked as he turned in his seat towards me.
I glanced over at him. 'Marie.' I told him before turning back to my drink. He smiled, liking a challenge.
'So what are you doing in a bar all alone, Marie?' He asked as he slid a little closer in his stool.
'Having a drink.' I told him before turning to him with a small smile.
'Well.' He says, placing a hand on my thigh. 'Maybe we can have a drink together.' He grins when I place my hand atop his. Looking over his shoulder I see Nik with a thunderous expression.
'Well, you see Ray, I don't really associate with dogs like you.' My grip on his hand tightened as I let my claws sink into his skin. 'And my friend really wouldn't like that anyway.' I lean forward to whisper in his ear but I'm staring right into Nik's eyes which become darker as I watch. 'He's a tad possessive.' With that I release his hand and twist him around in his seat to face Nik. 'That's two drinks you owe me.' I point out before downing what was left in my glass.