Chapter 1

Naomi, are you ready to go?" My mom called from down stairs. I grabbed my suitcase and pillow and headed downstairs.

   "Yes, I'm ready," I sighed. "Do I have to go to camp?"

   "Yes, you do. I signed you up and paid for everything."

   I went out the back door and put my things in the trunk. I got in the front seat.

   "You'll have fun Naomi," Mom said. "You might even meet someone there."

   "Sure mom; you always say that." I put my earbuds in. I always get this feeling when something bad is about to happen. I got that feeling on the way to camp and something usually always does happen. Last time it happened, I cut my hand open while slicing lemons and limes for juice. I still have the scar. We got there and I got my stuff out of the car and went to find out where my cabin was.

   On the way there, I passed a kid who looked like my age. As I walked by him that feeling got stronger, but I dismissed it. I stopped and looked at him. He had a white hoodie on; he also had short brown hair. 'Why would you wear a hoodie during the summer?' I thought. He looked at me. He had blue eyes I couldn't help but stare into. He smiled at me so I looked away and kept walking. I mumbled, "weirdo."

   I met my counselors and fellow campers and we went to our cabins. We had two hours before dinner. I put my stuff down by one of the beds and walked outside to the fire pit and plugged in my earbuds. I sat there for a while and when I was changing songs I heard a branch crack. I got up and then I took my earbuds out and listened. It sounded like it was behind me, but I didn't want to look. I was afraid it was some kind of wild animal. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I screamed and turned around to see the kid from earlier. "Oh I'm sorry, did I scare you?" He asked.

   "Yeah, kind of," I said.

   "My name's Jeff."

   "I'm Naomi."

   "I noticed earlier you were staring at me; why?"

   "Oh I was just...," I stopped and thought; 'why was I staring?' So I made something up. "I was staring because you're wearing a hoodie during the Summer."

   "Yeah so?" He said.

   "It's weird," I said.

   "It's the way I dress," Jeff said.

   "No, not really." I sat down and Jeff sat next to me.

   "So have you made any friends here yet?" Jeff asked me.

   "No, I'm not really the social type. What about you?"

   "Um, well no, but there is this blonde who has apparently developed a crush on me. Speaking of which, there she is."

    A girl with blonde hair and green eyes walked past us. She had on a pink shirt, a pink skirt, and pink flip flops.

   "I think this girl likes pink," I said.

   She looked over and saw Jeff. "Hi my future husband, Jeffy!"

   "Hi Mallory," Jeff said in an annoyed tone.

   I turned and mouthed, "Jeffy, really?"

   Jeff just shrugged his shoulders. She came over and sat between us, pushing me off the bench.

   "Hey!" I yelled.

   "Oops, my bad,; did I do that?" Mallory said sarcastically. I got up. "Are you ok?" Jeff asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine."