Ch. 1: Number Nine

Y/N's POV
The last thing I remembered was the hole, then falling...

My eyes snapped open, and I sat up quickly. Bad idea. Pain rushed to my head, and I clutched it, gritting my teeth and fighting through it. Once it subsided, I carefully stood up. I found that the yellow flowers had cushioned my fall from the very steep hole...

Looking through the opening in the ceiling, I could see sunlight—which was likely why there were flowers and grass here—but it was faint. I figured that I was deep underground.

Standing up and brushing off some nonexistent dust, I made my way through the cave to find...another cave. I furrowed my brows slightly, but kept walking forward. Soon, I was upon a magnificent city. But, by the crumbling state of the buildings, it appeared to have been abandoned for years. My frown deepened. Why would anybody abandon such a beautiful place? It made no sense to me.

As I walked into the city and through the maze-like corridors, I came across many puzzles. My curious and must-solve-it-or-I'll-die nature made me enjoy them immensely. However, as I was walking, I noticed many piles of ashy-looking stuff. Soon, I saw a little house. It looked deserted as well. I tried the doorknob. It swung open easily, albeit creaking after probably years of not being oiled. I bit my lip. No sane person would leave their door unlocked. That is, unless they never got a chance to lock it...

Instinctually, I glanced behind me. Nothing, except what was there before.

As I entered the likely once cozy and charming house, I noticed one thing in particular—the ambience, or more accurately, the lack of one. I existed in silence. It was both relieving and terrifying. It was relieving because living without a silent moment in your life is exhausting. It was terrifying because silence means that nothing is there to fill it. No living thing existed in this place. And that fact sent a chill up my spine. Clearly, beings used to live here by the place, ya know, existing, but every single one of them was gone. It was eerie.

I looked in many places, and saw many dusty artifacts of past lives. From what I could gather, a goat monster called Toriel used to be Queen of the Monsters. She had a son named Asriel with King Asgore, her old husband. When the first human fell—a young girl named Chara—the Royal Family took her in as one of their own. They were a happy family for years. One day, Asriel and Chara were trying to make pie for their father when they accidentally poisoned it with buttercups. The King got sick, and nearly died. Chara decided that she would ingest some buttercups so that her family could break the barrier. She died, and Asriel crossed the barrier using her soul. Her last wish was that she would be buried in the field of yellow flowers she loved when she was younger. Asriel did as his late adopted sister asked, but humans were mad that a monster had come to the surface, carrying the dead body of a human no less, and killed him. Asgore became so mad that he decided he would do anything to break the barrier, including kill any human that fell down. Toriel was very against the idea, so she abandoned her title and became the Guardian of the Ruins—where I was—and protected the occasional human that fell into the Underground. They all left, and all died at the hands of Asgore. The last entry in Toriel's diary included a short little paragraph about how she thought she had spotted a new human in the Underground, but wasn't entirely sure, because they were gone as soon as she blinked. She thought that she may have been going mad. She had also noted the absence of many of the usual monsters around.

I closed the book and placed it back where I found it. I was shocked. I knew exactly what this meant. A human that had fallen down before me did or was doing either a Neutral or a Genocide route. I feared, by the emptiness and utter silence, that the human had succeeded in their genocide.

I sprinted down the hallway in her house and saw a set of stairs...with a set dusty footprints heading down it. I took off down the stairs, four at a time. I had to stop the human doing this. I had to.

Hallway, door, hallway, door, hallway. I couldn't keep up my mad dash and slowed to a walk in front of another door. I swear, I was gonna punch something if I saw another hallway behind it. However, I suspected that that wasn't the case. The air got significantly colder when I walked closer to the door. Pushing on it, it swung open easily. My eyes widened. I saw snow. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd see snow. The nights on the surface barely dip below 70 degrees, much less the days.

I grinned to myself. Jumping through the open door, I began playing in the snow, making angels and the start of a snowman. I laughed to myself, enjoying the crisp air and the white powdery substance.

Eventually, the cold got to me. I began shivering. I saw that it would be imperative to find shelter. I started forward down the path, desperate to find the human responsible for it all.

I jumped over a stick, went through bars on a bridge that were too wide to stop anyone, and passed what looked like a lemonade stand. No monsters or humans stopped me. The ash piles were scattered around, and I avoided them all. The only sounds that met my ear were my own footsteps and the wind. It was beyond eerie now. It was scary. Something, anything, should be alive down here. But it appeared that nothing was.

I passed a few buildings that I didn't bother to read the signs of. I also passed a large two-story house. I didn't know where I was going, but my path was directed into the woods.

I walked amongst the trees. The bare trunks became a maze that I was easily lost in. I was afraid, but not for myself. I was afraid for those left down here. I feared that, if I didn't, the human would kill every single soul down here. And that was an outcome that I could not allow.

I was wandering aimlessly, looking for the genocidal human, when I got a face full of red. I swatted it away from me, confused. Finally, I saw it—a worn and tattered red scarf, drifting away on the wind. As I watched it float away, I got the feeling that it was important. So I chased it. It was like a game of tag, except with a headstrong and persistent scarf, running away on the wind currents. However, the flash of red disappeared. I spun in circles, but it was nowhere in the vicinity. I groaned, and began searching for it.

At last, I saw that it had come to rest in the glittering snow a few hundred feet or so from where I was before. I sighed in annoyance. It chose now, instead of twenty minutes ago, to hit the ground. How funny.

As I snatched it off the ground, I spied the house from earlier. However, to my happiness and mild surprise, there was someone there. A skeleton.

It was speed-walking, frantically searching high and low for something. It wore a white jacket, a white shirt, black shorts with a white stripe on each side, and white slippers. The most alarming thing, however, was the red swipe, that looked like blood, across their midsection.

Instinctively, I ran my hand across the soft scarf. It must be what they were looking for. I considered walking over and handing it to them, but I figured that I would not be received well. Maybe they would think that I was the human that killed everyone. So that option was off the table.

I squinted at the skeleton. Perhaps I could get away with simply dropping it on the doorstep. Maybe they would think the wind blew it there.

After it passed its apparent home, I sprinted over to doorstep and staged a scene so that it appeared like it loosely hung around the doorknob, being blown there by the wind. I ran and hid where I could see the porch, waiting for the skeleton's return.

It was an hour or two before the skeleton came back, ambling slowly as opposed to its wild and frenzied searching earlier. They seemed like they had given up. But they saw the scarf, and stopped dead in their tracks. Then they ran to it, grabbing it and hugging it tightly, as if they could barely bear to be apart from it.

They wrapped it around their neck, before looking in every direction, likely searching for someone. Me, to be precise. I ducked quickly. I waited for five minutes before I peeked over. They had disappeared. Hopefully, it was indoors.

I slumped my shoulders. I was cold and tired and hungry, but I had nowhere to go. I couldn't go back to Toriel's old cottage. It was too far of a journey, and the door to the ruined place was probably locked or something. I didn't want to intrude on anyone's property, either. The only option I had was sleeping in a tree. I sighed to myself. It would have to do.

I hoisted myself up to the nearest branch, using tiny knots in the tree as hand- and footholds. I nestled myself in, getting as comfy as possible, before closing my eyes and trying to go to sleep.