7 • New

SAM'S POV

"Jared."

"Who said that?" Jared asked, panicked.

"It's Sam, Jared. Follow my voice and you'll find me and I'll explain everything."

I heard a frantic running towards me and a large brown wolf suddenly appeared.

"Sam, what the hell is this? What's going on? One minute I was fighting with my girlfriend. Then Cheryl stormed off and I got really angry, and before I knew it, this happened."

"You're like me Jared. We're protectors of our tribe. Let me show you," I answered, before showing him my memories.

I showed him everything. From my earliest werewolf symptoms, to the first time I phased. I showed all the meetings that I had had with the Elders from the first revealing meeting on the cliff to all the ones since then. Three months of information flowed from me on different subjects such as how to kill vampires and how werewolves could hear each others thoughts and feel each others emotions. I explained to him that we could use that gift while coordinating attacks. More importantly, I showed him that we were still expecting more brothers.

I don't know how long we were out there while I revealed to him everything I had learned, but slowly I could sense that Jared was calming down and he was able to phase back to human form. After a few minutes, I was able to phase back as well. Jared looked at me and then looked quickly away.

"So...uh...is the nudity something we have to put up with too?" Jared asked embarrassed.

"Afraid so. They don't sell werewolf carry-ons." I laughed. "Come on, my house is right through those trees. I'll loan you some clothes and then we'll talk some more."

We headed back to my house and I picked up the clothes I had thrown in my hurry to phase. I pulled the pants back on before I entered the house. We went through the back door and I went straight to my room to grab some sweatpants. I went out to the living room where Jared stood staring, shock still evident on his face.

"Here." I handed him the pants.

"Thanks." Jared grabbed the sweats and quickly pulled them on. "Well, I guess this explains a lot...you know, why I've been feeling so hot lately and why I felt like I was ready to crawl out of my own skin...huh, I guess I was trying to crawl out of my skin." He added in a stunned tone.

"Listen, why don't you sit on the couch and relax for a few minutes. I need to make a call." I waited for Jared to nod, before I left him to call Harry. I went into the kitchen, picked up the phone, and dialed Harry's number.

"Hello?" A voice said. Oh God, it was Emily. I sucked in a breath as fierce longing slammed into me.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

"Emily, this is Sam Uley." I said.

Silence greeted me. My stomach twisted painfully as I realized she didn't want to talk to me. Then I heard the little inner voice chant again, cool, calm, collected. I snapped out of my frozen state.

"Emily, is Harry there?"

"Just a minute," I heard her call her uncle and every word she spoke was like a caress. I winced as I felt the familiar pain from not being near her.