Not Mere Coincidence (Part 2)

Hey guys!
Well, it's been almost a month since I posted the first part of this oneshot, so sorry about that. It's a few chapters back if you need to refresh your memory on what happened 😳😳
I really enjoyed writing this, but I hope you're in the mood for a long one, because I do believe this one tops my last at over 2,600 words. Wow. Anyway, please enjoy and let me know what you thought! I love hearing from you guys!  (Also, check out the video, it's a Rivendell ASMR room thingy.  It makes me way too happy.  If there's a way to listen to it while reading this chapter, I think it would be worth your while.  It's an awesome video)
----

      You had been on a diplomatic mission around Arda with some fellow guard members for  several years now, and you were pleased to be finally returning to Rivendell.  As much as you loved traveling and exploring Middle-Earth, you had run into some trouble with orcs along the way and missed the peaceful atmosphere and, most importantly, your family.  Although being Lord Elrond's daughter had its difficulties, you wouldn't trade him and your siblings for all of Arda.
    You spurred your horse on and signaled the other members of your party to speed up as the bridge leading into Imladris came slowly into view.  Before you knew it, you were passing under the archway and into the main courtyard.  Your horse stopped and you jumped down gracefully, brushing yourself off before straightening up. 
      "Y/N!" you heard the familiar voice of your sister, Arwen, and a moment later you felt her hands on your shoulders as she spun you around to face her.
      "Arwen," you smiled at her before embracing her tightly. 
      As you finally let go, you looked up to see Lindir approaching you, a hand over his heart in greeting.
      "My lady," he said crisply, offering you a small smile before reaching to take the reigns of your horse.  "May I settle your horse back in the stables for you?"
      "Thank you, Lindir, but I think I'll manage," you replied, "It's been far too long since I've seen the stables."
      With that, you took the reigns back and started walking to the stables.  When you got there, however, you were surprised to see almost all of the stalls full.  'That's odd,' you thought as you put your own horse in one of the empty stalls and gave him a fresh supply of food.  Usually there were several empty spaces... Did her father have company?
      As you were heading back to the palace, you saw Lindir and called him over.
      "Whose are the other horses?" you asked in a low voice, gesturing back to the stables.  "I was not aware that my father had company."
      "Lord Elrond has summoned a council with all the races of Middle Earth to discuss a solution to the spread of evil.  There is a Halfling," he lowered his voice to a whisper, "he brings what your father and Gandalf believe to be the Ring of Power."
      Your eyes widened in surprise- a lot had happened since you left.
      "When is this council?" you asked, curious as to whether you could attend as well...
      "Tomorrow.  I believe everyone is here, though.  But enough of that.  Your father will be wanting to know you are here."
      At that very moment, you saw your father round a corner and catch sight of you.  You saw his eyes light up and widen in shock- he hadn't known you were returning.
      "Y/N..." he breathed, embracing you tightly.  "You have returned at last."
      "Ada," you laughed, though a few tears pricked at your eyes, "I was only gone a few years
      "Your presence was dearly missed," he said softly, looking you up and down to check for any injuries.  "I am pleased to see you have returned safely."
      "Lindir told me about a council you are holding," you said abruptly, unable to hold in your curiosity any longer.  Your father's face changed to a slightly defeated expression and he sighed- clearly he had been hoping to avoid the topic.
      "Yes... It is being held tomorrow. Our guests have already arrived- they will be dining with us tonight."
      "May I attend also?" you inquires immediately, holding your breath in anticipation.
      "Go clean up for dinner, Y/N.  We can discuss it later.  I will think about it."
      "Alright, ada," you relented, smiling at him one last time before turning to go to your chambers.  You breathed in the fresh air, taking in the familiar surroundings...  You had missed Rivendell more than you realized. 
     Sighing contentedly, you turned down your well-worn secret pathway.  You looked up at the trees, down at the flowers and vines, anywhere but in front of you- until you walked straight into a warm, hard surface.
      ----
      Legolas sat on the bed, looking around at the guest quarters he had been assigned to for his stay in Imladris.  He set his quiver and bow at the foot of his bed and stood, wondering what he could do until Lord Elrond summoned the guests for supper...  Perhaps he could go for a walk.
      Deciding to leave his bow behind, he opened the door and strode outside, taking in the beautiful surroundings.  Legolas hadn't visited Rivendell in over sixty years, and the last time he had visited, he had met someone who had stuck in his memory all this time.  He remembered it as though it were yesterday... every detail of his meeting with the Lady Y/N.  He wondered if she was here- he hadn't seen her since his arrival that morning.  Not that she would remember him-  he felt foolish even hoping.  Surely she would have had numerous suitors asking for her courtship in her time.  And he hadn't even done anything that memorable, they had only talked a few times over the course of an afternoon.
      Nevertheless, there was a slight fluttering in his stomach when he thought of her, her smile, her bold personality...  Legolas smiled as he saw the small gap in the bushes, the little path where they had met all those years ago.  After a moment's hesitation, he decided to walk down there again.  As he walked, he couldn't help but wonder where Y/N was.  Even if she were still a member of the guard, she should be coming home by now... As he stopped at the dead end leading into her quarters, he peeked into the window and saw it deserted.  A sudden thought struck him- what if she had left Rivendell?  What if she had been married off to someone else since he saw her last?
      These thoughts filled Legolas's mind as he trod back the way he had come, not looking where he was going until he felt something- or someone- ram into his chest. 
      The elleth looked up, dazed, and apologized profusely when she saw she had run into him.  As their eyes met, Legolas' heart skipped a beat- though she looked rather worn, with slightly battered clothing and dark circles under her eyes, he could tell it was Y/N. 
    "My Lady," he said enthusiastically, smiling down at her.
      She looked at him, confused.  Legolas' heart sank- it was just as he had feared.  She didn't remember him.  But after a moment, he saw slight recognition dawn on her face.  Her mouth opened and he nodded...
      "Legolas?"
      "Yes, it's me," he said joyously as she grinned at him and started speaking rapidly- but he didn't hear a word she said.  His head was buzzing with excitement at seeing her again, and so he only caught little bits of her words- "I can't believe... See you again... How wonderful!"
      "Will I be seeing you at dinner, my lady?" he asked Y/N when she finally stopped talking. 
      "Oh, yes," she replied, snapping out of her daze and looking up at the sky to see the time.  "I'd best be going, for I need to clean up a little before dinner.  It truly is wonderful seeing you again, Legolas," she touched his arm, giving it a little squeeze before she turned to leave. 
      Legolas stood and watched her go, his heart pounding from the contact and the surprise meeting.  Finally coming to his senses, he decided it would be good for him to tidy up as well before dining with the other members of the Council.
      ----
      You closed the door to your quarters and leaned against it, chuckling at what had just happened.  Who could have foretold that you would meet Legolas again, after more than sixty years, in the same exact spot? 'Strange,' you shook your head in disbelief as you went to the closet, picking a dress to wear before starting some bathwater.
      A while later, you were ready for dinner, dressed in a deep red robe with blue trim. Checking your appearance in the mirror once more, you left your quarters and headed for the balcony where your father would be holding the meal.  As you approached the doorway, however, Elrond rose from his seat and came out to meet you, pulling you off to the side.
      "Have you met any of our guests yet," he inquired, "or shall I introduce you?"
      You found this a rather odd question, since your father always introduced his children to guests, regardless of who the company was.  Oh well, perhaps he was just stressed?
      "I've met only one," you replied, gesturing subtly through the archway at where Legolas sat.  "The Elvish prince Legolas."
     "I see," your father's face softened into a smile.  "I suspected as much.  He must remember you from his father's past meeting here in Imladris- he requested that you might sit with him."
      You felt your cheeks flare up at your father's words, and he smirked to see your embarrassed expression. 
      "This I should like to see," he muttered with a rare grin, before taking your arm and leading you into the room, where your sister and brothers already sat with the guests.  Everyone stood as you and Elrond entered, and Elrond introduced you formally before allowing you to go around the table and meet everyone individually.  You greeted the guests, offering a slight smirk toward the dwarves and a warm smile to the Hobbits before stopping to say hello to Aragorn. 
      "Estel," you smiled at him, "it is good to have you back in our city.  I trust you have been faring well?"  He nodded and you moved on, though not before seeing him throw a quick glance over your shoulder at Arwen.  'I'll have to speak with her about that later,' you thought with a smirk before briefly shaking hands with another man, Boromir.  Finally, you circled around to where Legolas stood in anticipation.
      "I was wondering if I might offer you this seat, My Lady," he said, gesturing to the chair next to him with a slightly shaking hand.  You nodded at him and took your seat, noticing Legolas fidgeting nervously with the hem of his sleeve.  Seeing your father was looking elsewhere, you gave Legolas a playful nudge and leaned to whisper in his ear.
      "You nervous?" you winked at him, allowing your snarky side to come out again.  Legolas's cheeks burned and even the tips of his pointed ears were tinged red.  This was going to be fun.
      The rest of the meal was fairly uneventful, save for some dwarves causing a ruckus during dessert, though you did notice your father's eyes on you and Legolas several times over the course of dinner.  Several times you caught his eye, and you saw him raising an eyebrow more than once when Legolas would offer to help you with a dish or pitcher a little too eagerly...
      After the last plates had been cleared, you stood and made to leave.
However, before you could make your exit, you felt a hand on your wrist and turned to see Legolas again.
     "Will you be at the council tomorrow?" he asked earnestly, awaiting your response with a hopeful gleam in his eye. 
      "I do not know," you replied sullenly. "My father does not wish for me to attend, though I am trying my best to make my way in."
      "I could speak with him," Legolas smiled brightly at his idea.  "I wish for you to attend as well."
      "I can't ask you to do that for me," you laughed at his eagerness to help, gently shaking your arm out of his grip. "My father would not be pleased.  Although I appreciate the offer," you reassured him before bidding the guests farewell and starting the walk back to your quarters.
      A few hours later, you were undressed and in your nightgown, but you found yourself very much awake- there was no way you would be able to rest. There was too much on your mind. So you unhooked your robe from the arm of your chair and put it on, wrapping it tightly around yourself before exiting your room.
      ----
      Legolas stood out on a balcony at the end of the hall, looking out on the beautiful landscape.  It was amazing in his mind how one place could be so beautiful and serene when, all across Middle Earth, darkness was spreading and evil awakening.  'And tomorrow will decide the fate of us all,' he thought somberly, shaking his head.
      He was brought out of his thoughts by the creaking of a door and soft footsteps.
"Y/N," he smiled as he turned to look at the elleth. Her h/c hair fluttered in the breeze coming from the water, and her eyes sparkled in the moonlight. She came to stand next to him and placed a hand on his, concern in her eyes.
"Are you alright, Legolas?" she asked softly.
"I've just been thinking. Tomorrow's council will have a greater impact on Middle Earth than I think many of us realize. I fear making the wrong decision."
Y/N nodded in understanding, looking out on the city.
"It will indeed. Even if I cannot be there tomorrow, you and the others have my full support, you know that?" she looked up at him earnestly, tightening her grip on his hand. "Perhaps my father will have a change of heart, and I can be there in person. Though," she added with a wry smile, "I've never let my father's words dictate my actions."
"So I've heard," Legolas laughed. "I spoke with your father this evening, and I believe I have convinced him to let you into the council."
Y/N's eyes lit up and she smiled widely, shaking her head and laughing at his words.
"I can't believe you," she whispered, "confronting my father about such things. I appreciate it, though. Perhaps my father will not have such a close eye on us this time."
Legolas blushed at her comment- he too had noticed Elrond's watchful eye during dinner.
"What will you do, Legolas, if my father asks you to accompany the Halfling to destroy the Ring?"
"I will do it," he replied without hesitation. "If I am called upon to aid the Ring-bearer, I shall do so with pride."
"That's what I thought," Y/N looked down, deep in thought. "If you leave Imladris, I wish to come with you," she stated after a moment of silence, meeting his eyes again with a determined expression.
"But why?" Legolas asked. "You have so much here, and you only just returned..." He trailed off as Y/N started leaning toward him. This cannot be happening, he thought as he found her arms reaching up around her neck and felt himself bending down. In slow motion, he felt her lips meet his and his mind went totally blank. Suddenly, he was feeling a million things at once, and a wave of energy washed over him.
After what felt like only a second, Y/N pulled away and Legolas opened his eyes to see her gazing up at him with slightly red cheeks but a determined expression.
"Because I do not believe that our meeting was a coincidence. I believe we were destined to find one another, and I intend to follow you wherever you go."
With that, Legolas smiled and pulled her into a hug. Surely she was right- their meeting was not a coincidence.

----
Well, the ending was possibly a bit cheesy, but oh well. It was fun anyways. Again, please let me know what you thought!
Also, guys, I'm going to sound a bit pathetic, but I'm desperate for requests 😅 so if you have one in the back of your mind, don't hesitate to let me know. Just be warned- I'll get it done ASAP, but it may not be immediate. Thanks!!