Chapter 11: Drunk And Stupid

Next thing I know, I was following Jack outside. Towards the center stage where there was a crowd formed already. The lot was so crowded weㅡor Jack actually had to push people out of the way. He was doing all the work and I was just following where he steps next.

Jack was aiming for the left side of the stage so we could join with the rest of the announcers. Malapit na sana kaming makarating nang biglang tumigil si Jack na naging dahilan kung bakit ako nauntog sa likod nito. Tumingala ako at nakita kong may lalaki sa harap niya. Kasabay nun ang realisasyon na napapalibutan pala kami ng mga lalaking nakaitim. It took me a whole minute before realizing we are being surrounded by men wearing black suits. Wait. Bodyguards? In this day and age?

"Move," Jack said, irritated. "Nagmamadali kami."

"Sir Jack, pinapatawag po kayo ni Mayor."

"I'm not a dog that comes and goes everytime someone calls, Ricci. Tell your master that. Now, move."

"Sirㅡ"

"Let me go!" I winced when a bodyguard grabbed me from behind. I think he only meant to step me aside before they go full force on Jack but I was panicked. I'm sure he didn't mean to grip me harder but my nerves are sensitive because of the tension.

Jack turned toward us and raised a brow at the man gripping my arm. "Are you really going to wait and see what I'll do if youㅡ"

Thankfully the man listened and let my arms go. I suddenly have a trauma to arm-grabbing men and this experience didn't make it easier. Not to mention I was suddenly reminded of the day I was grabbed by an accused. In the middle of the day.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Aspire Heritage University's 65th Anniversary," Nine said from the stage. I can tell she was starting to look for us in the audience, unaware of the commotion down the stage.

"Sir, gusto lang daw po kayong makausap ni sir," nakikiusap na sabi ng tinatawag na Ricci.

"I'm busy," Jack said before holding my hand and grabbing us away from the group of black-suited men.

I was letting Jack drag me away of the calamity and led me in a bench beside the makeshift stairs for the stage. Nine is currently speaking about the theme of the anniversary. "Are you hurt?"

I shook my head, shaken. "He didn't hurt me. Nabigla lang ako."

"This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid," he said, still irritated. "My father isn't the kind man people thought he is."

Tumango lang ako bilang pagsagot dahil pakiramdam ko ayaw niya pa munang pag-usapan ito at mas lalong wala kami sa tamang lugar para pag-usapan ang mga ganitong sensitibong bagay. Kahit na pa tatay niya ang alkalde. Dinaanan naman kami ni Nine at sinabihang stand-by lang kami dahil malapit na ang set namin.

A freshman student stopped beside the bench where I am sitting and forced a smile at me, breathing hard. Hindi ko siya pinansin dahil imposible namang may maghahanap sa aking freshman kaya laking gulat ko nalang ng bigla itong tumigil sa harap ko at binigyan ako ng papel.

"Galing daw po kay George Arturo," wika ng freshman habang inaabot ito sa akin.

"What is this?" I asked but I was already opening the piece of paper. Inside were George's numbers, sprawled in a legible hand.

"Magtext ka raw sakaniya para matawagan ka niya," sabi nito sabay takbo paalis.

I stole a glance towards the note, stopping the urge to memorize the number. Para saan ito? Bakit pa niya ako kinukulit kung meron naman na siyang Rose para pagka-abalahan?