Chapter Eight: Question

I knew Utah wasn't optional. I live with my parents and I don't have any money. I have no choice.

So I went back. My siblings are back in school and I'm home all the time while my parents work. The highlight of my day is when people are home and I have somebody to talk to.

I went on one walk through town, saw somebody I used to sell drugs to, and went straight back home.

Mom and Dad are concerned because it's been two weeks and the only time I leave the house are for my therapy sessions.

So now, with a lot of nagging, I've agreed to go to the grocery store with my Mom.

We're standing in the alcohol aisle because Mom is having a few friends from work over to drinks tonight. My arms are wrapped around me because it's cold in this aisle.

She's asking if she should get beer or get a bottle of wine and I open my mouth to tell her to get wine, but in that moment I turn my head and see Alex walking down the aisle with his head down.

My eyes bug out of my head and the next thing I know, I'm grabbing Mom's purse and her wrist and physically dragging her out of the aisle, nearly running.

I drag her all the way to the toilet paper aisle and stop.

"Katherine! What the hell?"

"Alex is here!" I hiss.

Her face fills with distaste.

"See? This is why I can't leave the house!" I whisper shout at her, frustrated. "I went on one walk, Mom! One! And I saw somebody I used to sell drugs to! This fucking city is tainted with who I was and I can't start over and be sober if I'm around people that are reminding me of drugs!" I shake my head, frustrated. "Forget it. I'm going home."

I storm out of the toilet paper aisle, avoiding every route that I could cross paths with Alex in.

I sit down on the hood of the car, burying my head in my hands.

Less than thirty seconds later, I hear footsteps, and then I feel a tap on my knee.

I look up and Mom is standing in front of me.

"You just finish your shopping-"

"No. Let's go to another city and go shopping." She says.

"Mom-"

She just gets in the car and turns it on.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and get in the car.

We don't say a word the whole drive, I just stare out the window, watching the buildings pass, wishing I was in New York where I at least feel like I can go get a gallon of fucking milk without running into my druggie ex boyfriend.

_____

Later that night after my Mom's friends left, I decided I needed to talk to my parents about how I was feeling.

It's Friday night so even though it's almost midnight, everyone is still awake.

I walk into the kitchen where they're cleaning up and decide to just go right for it.

"I'm moving out."

Mom accidentally drops her plate in the sink.

"Moving out?" She repeats.

"What are you talking about?" Dad asks.

I know he meant it months ago when he said I was on my last chance.