Ch.8 Aftermath

Josey re-entered the tent with 3 strips of black cloth in his hand. He ran his hands through Laura's hair, realising he was back inside she instantly stopped shaking. Her eyes met his and the relief she felt brought tears to her eyes. She jumped up, threw her arms around him, and kissed him passionately. When she pulled away his cheeks were wet from her tears.

"You may not like it but, I need to blindfold you."

"Why?"

"Because I need to take the tent down, I can't do that with you in it. So your gonna wear this and sit in the car."

"Okay, I trust you."

"Thank you."

He turned to Neka and Claire, "I brought blindfolds for y'all aswell."

"Why do we need to be blindfolded?" Neka questioned.

"There are dead people out there," Claire stated with a shiver.

"What!"

"We all saw them."

"Oh my God!" She grabbed her arms, running her hands up and down them repeatidly.

"Someone needs to help you with the tent," Claire said.

"It'll take a little longer but I can manage it."

"I'm not wearing that blindfold, I'll help you. I can handle it."

"Okay, if your sure."

He handed Claire one of the black strips and pointed to Neka. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," Laura responded.

"Yeah, I guess." Neka acquiesced, Claire started putting on her blindfold.

Josey stepped towards Laura, "Wait!"

He looked at her confused, she leaned forward and kissed him then leaned back, "I love you."

"I love you too."

He once again stepped towards her, wrapped his arms around her, made sure the cloth was in place, and tied the knot. Josey and Claire led Neka and Laura to the car.

Claire started pulling up the stakes, then paused to take in the view. There were about 8 police cars, lights flashing, spread out across the park. There were 5 blacked out SUVs with men in suits not far from them, they were talking to people or looking at one thing or another.

Strange white tents were being erected here and there in completely random places. The wind blew and she caught a glimpse inside one, she quickly wished she hadn't. There was a woman's body inside, deep ugly claw marks started at her forhead moving down to cover part of her chest. She averted her eyes and caught a glimpse of something that stuck out from the rest of the chaos.

A man in a suit was sitting on a tailgate beside a little girl, she appeared to be about 6 or so. She looked sad, but openly chatted away with the man beside her. Occasionally she would swipe at her cheeks or wipe her nose with a tissue the man had given her. It confused her to see a little girl in the middle of all this. The man looked up and Claire glanced away returning to the task before her.

While she was distracted Josey had took up the remaining stakes and was now pulling out the poles, she bent down and started to help.

They made quick work of the tent, they were both dying to get out of there. Finishing it off they forced it into its bag and shoved the zipper closed, then Josey threw it in the trunk. He opened Laura's door to make sure she was okay and let her know they were finally leaveing, before climbing into the front of the car. Claire was already in the driver seat where she'd been quietly waiting on him. Claire turned the key, put it in gear, and started out of the parkinglot.