Chapter Three

"I don't understand why we're going if it's a boring movie." Cosette said, standing behind Enjolras as he looked himself over in his bedroom mirror.

"Because, although it's a boring movie, it's also a classic movie, and any good film nerd needs to see the classic movies." She'd convinced him to wear a shirt that matched her dress, but he wasn't sure about it. It was ugly and lavender coloured and he felt like the child of a creepily attatched parent. Plus, she wasn't going to be with him- she was more interested in spending the duration of the film with Marius. He wanted to make Cosette happy though, so he sucked it up and wore the shirt.

"Have you seen it before?"

"Yes," he replied, in a slightly short tone. Enjolras hadn't been expecting that question, but realistically it was one of Cosette's hobbies to pick apart the illogical things he did on a daily basis.

"And was it boring?" She was tapping her foot now, arms crossed in impatience with him. She wasn't tecnically wrong. When Combeferre had invited them all to the cinema, he was pretty skeptical at first. He'd first watched the film in History a few years ago, and had been on the verge of falling asleep throughout the whole thing. He was older now, however, and realised that the whole reason he'd found it boring in the first place could have been that he was too young to understand it. Enjolras liked cinema- and people who liked cinema loved this movie.

"Yes, but-" he spun on the spot in frustrating, turning to face her. "It's an iconic movie. Critically the best one ever made."

"The Emperor's New Groove is the best film ever made. You cannot stand there and defend Citizen Kane while blaspheming against the good name of Kuzco."

He had to admit that she was right. They'd first watched The Emperor's New Groove together, and the both of them had held an unironic love for it ever since.

"If we go I'll make you pancakes later," he offered. He could see the reluctance in her eyes when she huffed an "ugh, fine" and took his hand, leading him out of his bedroom- there was very little Cosette wouldn't do for Enjolras's pancakes, but that didn't mean she was happy about it.

Combeferre and Courfeyrac came to pick them up. Very few of their friendship group knew how to drive, as the historic city they lived in was virtually anti-car- it was much easier to walk most places than it was to drive, and many places couldn't even be accessed by car. This was made especially prominent by the fact that a large majority of their stores and cafés were at the top of the incredibly aptly named Steep Hill, which had barriers at the bottom to prevent cars from even attempting to ascend. The cinema was on the other side of the city away from the hill, however, and was much easier to get to by car.

Courfeyrac was driving, which didn't comfort Enjolras in the slightest. He always made wild turns and drove just over the speed limit. He seemed to enjoy making his friends fear for their lives. They were driving down a particularly speed bump-laden road when Combeferre's phone pinged.

"It's from Grantaire," he said, adressing the rest of the car, "asking if he can bring a girl."

All four of them groaned in annoyance. Every time Grantaire brought a girl out with them it ended in unnecessary drama and tears. And for Enjolras, it was just painful seeing him with anyone else. He was used to it by now, but that in no way meant that it didn't still sting seeing Grantaire with his arms around somebody else, whispering to them and kissing them the way Enjolras wished he would with him.

It didn't help that they were girls. A constant stark reminder of the fact that Grantaire was not, and could not be attracted to him. Grantaire had never expressed any sort of interest in men, and Enjolras couldn't see that changing any time soon.