Chapter One

I have a theory.

This is my theory:

People are sent into your life for a reason and are usually just this big learning process that you didn't realise was a lesson until the class finished and the teacher was gone.

I am yet to test this theory.

I'm Jedediah.

12th grade

I go to Ridgemonte State with my friends in year 11; Henry, Frankie and Iris.

My life is average. Same routine every week.

Monday

Wake up at 7:00am get to school at 8:30am.

Go to boring classes and sit with friends at lunch.

Catch the bus at 3:00pm get home at 5:00pm.

Make dinner.

Shower.

Play video games.

Go to bed.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are the same.

Saturday

Friends come over.

Get wasted.

Be stupid.

Sleep.

Sunday

Still wasted.

Still sleeping.

Friends leave.

Average.

Today is Saturday. Bare in mind that it is 1:00 in the morning but it is Saturday when Iris texts me.

Iris: whats the plan for today?

Me: nothing unusual. Go to sleep!

Iris: since when have I been known to go to bed before morning?

She has a point. For the past two years I swear she's spent every night except on the weekends in her tree house her and her dad built when she was like five and stays up there until about 3:00am. She said its because it's peaceful up there which I guess I can understand. I mean, her dad left her when she was in year 7 and about a year later her mum went away to Las Vegas and ended up getting married there.

Me: well I'm going to bed. You should too.

Iris: fine.

Me: are you okay?

Iris: yeah.

Me: okay...

Iris: see you tomorrow.

Me: goodnight Iris.

Iris: goodnight Jedediah.

I plug my phone into its charger and get comfortable into bed.

- - -

At 7:00am my mum opens the door into my room and pokes her head through "just came in to let you know that your father and I are both heading out now, okay?"

I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes "yeah, okay."

"Are you gonna be okay here by yourself?"

"Mum, you leave me home alone every weekend. I think I'm past the stage where I'd hide under the table with a bat in my hand."

"Okay, see you Monday afternoon, Jed."