Elijah POV:

I jolted awake to the sound of a door being closed. I couldn't really breath, couldn't think straight, only shook where I was seated. One thought alone was echoing inside my skull as I could hear the footsteps: He was back.

After a few agonizingly long seconds the red haired wolf reappeared into my line of view. He looked to be a bit tired. Barely visible but definitely new bags were beneath his eyes and his hair was messier than before. There was even a leaf caught inside the crimson curls. For some unknown reason I felt a sudden urge to pick the little green thing out of his hair. Weird. What was this? Some strange sort of werewolf-power? I could be possible. After all neither of us knew much of the other, so...

What worried me most right now, though, was the red substance on his left hand and in his teeth. Clearly he must have been hunting, because I could smell the fresh kill from here. A squirrel, I would guess. It was too much blood for one, though, so he'd probably killed a few. There also was the distend smell of rabbit, so maybe he'd hunted one of them, too. Squirrel had a stronger smell, so it might just be that. Still, so much blood was... distracting.

"What happened?"

I wish I'd have something to drink or to eat. Sure, I'd had a cup of blood just a few hours ago and I was used to going long without any nourishment, but having it right there, seeing it wasn't helping me to suppress the thirst at all. Especially since my body had long used all of the blood for regeneration and I hadn't eaten anything in literally years. I could go on just blood, though it wasn't exactly pleasant. So, sure, I was able to keep going without anything, but his smell or rather the smell of his fresh kills forced my attention on wanting it.

"Elijah!", the force in Kai's voice made me flinch and avert my eyes quickly. It sounded as though he'd talked to me before and thinking about it I even remembered him doing so. But what he had said just hadn't registered so I had no idea what to say. Damnit! This couldn't be good...

After a moment of hesitation I gulped and nervously whispered out: "I, uh... S-Sorry, but, uh, w-what was that?" "I asked you what happened.", Kai repeated. Surprisingly he didn't sound angry or annoyed but rather, did I dare say, concerned? Why, though? I was his natural enemy and he'd never had a problem with hunting my kind down, torturing us, ending our existence. Why now? Why me? Was this an act? Oh, of cause. Why, he'd only kept me alive for information and he didn't want me to tell him random stuff I thought about just to make him stop hurting me. He simply played nice to I'd trust him and turn on my kind. Everything clicked into place now. How would he react once he found out it wouldn't work, I wondered? Then again, I didn't really want to know.

Then his question - which I realized I had yet to answer - popped back into my mind. What did he mean, though? What could he possibly... Oh. "W-Well... Vampires and sunlight...", I muttered out resisting to pick at the burned red flesh which was still recovering in the not helpful late evening light. The last rays shone through, barely missing me by a few inches. Actually they were trapping me, cornering me even more than I already was.

Kai appeared to be a bit confused for a moment, then went over to the window and closed the curtain. "Why? I mean, the sun god is protecting you after all, isn't he?", the wolf asked me. He was still calm and slowly but surely it started to pull on my nerves. When would he turn to me and tell me this had all been an act? How long would it take?

"Uhm... Not exactly. I mean, he's the one who made our species but he's not exactly protecting us. Actually, he despises weakness, so he doesn't want to see us. You know, since we're not as strong as him and all..." Oh. Did I just answer his question? I hadn't even thought about it, just done it. Almost as if I'd trust him. Which, of cause, was absolute bull. I mean, hey! He was the enemy. He was supposed to kill me, hurt me, things like that. Sure, he hadn't done any of it, but that was only an act and that act was so not working.

Or was it?

...

No. No, absolutely not. I refuse to let myself be blinded by such an obvious act. Even though I had to say that I actually felt way more comfortable here than I had in my own clan. Nevertheless, I would not fall for it. I was stronger than that. If I'd been able to take the An then I definitely would be able to take a bit pretended kindness. Even if the very concept still threw me off.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as Kai yet again chuckled. "You know", he said still grinning, "That was the first thing you said to me without stuttering. And the most you said to me, too, I believe." He was right. He was actually right about that. Why did he sound so happy, though? Even if he wanted me to believe he'd be nice to me, why would he pretend to be happy about something like that? Weird.

"Oh, well. Anyway, I'm gonna take a quick shower. I'll be right back, okay?", Kai informed me with a smile in his voice. I could hear his steps retreating and as soon as I felt it was safe I looked up, catching a glimpse on his bright red head as he left my line of view once again with a slight bounce in his steps. 

He looked so happy. So energetic. As though he was happy with being here, determent to make the best out of every situation that'd come across his path. It was something I'd never seen back at the clan. The only ones ever being carefree were the children, the ones that didn't go through the ceremony yet. Strength, training, hunting and the outward appearance was all anyone ever worried about, not how to make the best out of... well, anything actually.

In our clan everyone had to function and everyone had to fulfill their duties, play their part. It had to be like that. After all, everything was planned out perfectly. One small mistake and the whole system could stop to function at once. It was like a clockwork where everyone was a gear wheel and one thing fitted precisely into the other. Everything was connected. Everyone worked as a union. Like a beehive, like the cells forming a living being. In the clan we needed each other. We were dedicated to each other. We were part of something larger. It was a place everyone could trust each other blindly and everyone knew they belonged and everyone was wiling to sacrifice everything just to have your back.

Which, on the other hand, also meant it was unbearable to be excluded like I had been. The one pice that didn't belong, that didn't contribute, that wasn't part of the picture. I'd been the black sheep, the nuisance, the one thing weakening the whole system. I was like the cancer cell that was about to destroy the body - and that was why I'd been treated as such the whole time.

And seeing Kai act so happy and bouncy, I simply couldn't help but wonder why he was acting that way. What did his life look like to make him this way? What was the life in a pack like that he could simply skip his responsibilities and come here? And what about the other wolves? Was everyone like that where he came from? I wondered...

But it wasn't as though I'd ever be in any position to ask him, so I probably wouldn't ever get to know.