Chapter I: Screaming Stars Hurt

Mason's second night without sleeping.

        "Mason... Please..."

        "I can't," said Mason calmly. "Look, sis, I need to work."

        "You can work all you want, but you need to sleep," cried Lalea. "It's been too long! This lack of sleep is going to kill you some day..."

        "I'm fine, sis."

        Mason continued to beat a piece of metal he was using to make another one of his crazy devices. Lalea suddenly ran in between him and the scrap metal. Mason froze. She gave him a sad look, "Please, Mason."

        Mason sighed, "Okay... Fine."

        Lalea gasped with joy and hugged him tightly, "Thank you!"

        "Sure thing, sis... Anything for you." Mason lightly hugged her back, smiled, and then retreated out of the garage and back upstairs.

     Mason Hearth was 15 years old with messy brown hair and deep green eyes. He had a muscular structure and pale skin. Lalea Hearth, his younger sister, was 13 years old with long brown hair and light skin. Her eyes were light blue, just like her mother's.

        Mason ran up stairs to the couch, looked out the window, and then lied down. Lalea followed behind and grabbed a blanket, lying it on top of him. She sat down and watched her brother for a moment, watching him fall asleep for the first time in a while. He usually refused to sleep, for he was what kept them alive. His many inventions, gizmos, and machines is what game them the money to live in the house they did. He actually raised enough money to pay for the house with his weird devices.

        Lalea walked back into her room, kicked off her shoes, leaving her barefoot, sat on her bed, and put in ear buds. She plugged into a phone that Mason built himself. Mason built devices from cell phones to robots that you could have a conversation with. His knowledge brought him large amounts of prophet, but still barely enough to keep them alive. He always tried so hard to keep her happy, but she just wished he would keep himself happy first...

        Mason dreamed of his mother as he slept... He remember the day they lost her...

        He was 13 and in the car with his 11 year old younger sister Lalea. They were in the back seat watching heavy rain beat against the glass as their mother drove through. She had long brown hair and deep brown eyes. At the time, she was about 27 years old.

        Mason's mind dazed off into the rainy night until a loud noise caught his attention. He looked through the windshield and noticed swerving headlights. The darkened pictured slowly morphed into a semi truck with a flatbed trailing behind it, whipping from side to side as the vehicle tilted from side to side.

        "Mom," said Lalea, "What is that?"

        Our mom began to drive from left to right, attempting to dodge the headlights, "Nothing, dear," she said with stutters as she tried to focus, but nothing she did could have saved her. The semi's flatbed fell to its side and slid across the street, taking up the whole path. Their mom tried to turn, but the bed was too wide. It was going longways across every lane. She stomped on her brakes, but the bed came to them.

        They crashed into the bed head-on, causing the kids to get knocked out cold.

When Mason woke up, Lalea was passed out with a bloody nose and a few bleeding cuts from glass. He looked down at himself, noticing quite a few cuts from the glass, but he quickly lost attention of that. He looked straight at his mother, seeing the deployed airbag. He instantly deflated it and looked at his mother, but the results weren't as pleasing as he hoped. She was bleeding from her nose and several spots on her face. He shook her shoulder, but she wouldn't wake up. He shook harder and harder, but she sat there with slightly open eyes and a bloody face. He put a hand on her well-cut cheek and looked into her eyes, rested his forehead on hers, and then relieved a tear from his eye. That's when Lalea slowly woke up.