Preparations Are Made

We returned quickly back to the common room to shower and change into clothes that weren't covered in cake

We returned quickly back to the common room to shower and change into clothes that weren't covered in cake. Maddie emerged from the bathroom and into our dorm with a sour expression.

"I can't believe they had the nerve to do that!" Maddie erupted. "They have a complete disregard for the rest of society. They don't think how it might affect anyone else except themselves so they can have a laugh. Not to mention how embarrassing that must have been for you!"

"It was just a bit of fun," I defended, "And technically it was Peeves who did it, not the twins."

"But you can just tell it was their idea and those two set him up to it." Maddie said while angrily pacing back and forth.

"Maddie, it's my birthday." I whined, playing the birthday card to get her to relax and get the twins off the hook, "Calm down and just play snap with me."

I decided to play with the muggle cards so the nipping explosions in exploding snap wouldn't anger Maddie even more.

**

Maddie had disliked the twins for a while now but by May she flat out refused to talk to them. Whenever the twins and/or Lee, who I had become friends with, came to sit at the Hufflepuff table, she would move to go and sit somewhere else, usually with Kevin. It made more sense for me to go and sit at the Gryffindor table.

"So then," I said as I sat down next to Lee at the Gryffindor table. "What's this plan that I 'absolutely needed to hear'?" I asked the twins who were sat opposite, using their own words.

"It's for Filch." George said.

"We've been meaning to target him for a while now. We want to raid his office again and will need a distraction." Fred said very matter of factly.

"So that's my job then?" I asked, unsure why they were so eager to have me in on this when it sounded like one of their usual pranks.

"No no." Fred said, "You're so small you could easily slip inside Filch's office unseen. We'll be the distraction."

"But I don't know what I'm looking for once I'm in." I said putting a flaw in their plan. A rather obvious flaw I thought.

After a few minutes of hushed discussion between the three boys, the plan was finally settled.

"Here's the plan," Lee began, explaining it to me because he was closest, "George and I will provide the distraction."

"We've got some Zonko's products that we've messed with that need testing and if it goes wrong that'll just provide better cover." George explained.

"Fred'll go with you, he knows his way around best." Lee continued.

"When are we doing this?" I asked.

"It'll have to be a time when Filch is in his office, otherwise it'll be locked and heavily protected. Trust me, we've tried before." Fred said knowingly.

"Filch always goes to his office before he makes rounds after hours so we'll have to sneak out." George explained.

"Up for it Caswell?" Fred jeered.

I could vividly picture Maddie's disappointed face, the one she has whenever she sees the twins. But I'd lived with Amy for years so it was only natural I had a rebellious side.

"You bet!" I replied confidently. Too confidently as I would later realise.