The Ferris Wheel, part 2.

Sparks sprayed from fraying wires left exposed in the giant wheel's wake. GP swore under his breath and shielded his face with an arm. "We gotta get out of here."

Hand-in-hand with GP and her sister, Tilly started pulling everyone towards the exit. They didn't make it far. The thoroughfare was already swarmed. Bodies were packed, squirming, as more and more terrified fairgoers forced their way towards the main gate. Carnies climbed on faded apple boxes, voices raised, in an attempt to direct the flow of the mob. Their instructions went unheard, swallowed by the chaos. Children cried.

"Please!" An elderly man flagged Tilly down just as she started to wade into the masses. His weathered blue-veined hand was wrapped tight around his wife's trembling shoulder. "Have you seen our Dorothy? She's a girl 'bout your age, brown hair—"

"Said she was going to ride the Cyclone and then the—" There was a catch in the old woman's throat as she caught a glimpse of the runaway ride over the surrounding tents. She paled, eyelids fluttering. "The—the Ferris wheel—oh mercy—"

"Sorry, folks." GP pushed past them with a grim smile. "I hope you find her, I do, but we all need to evacuate—"

"There's still people on the ride." The realization came first as a whisper but the longer it sat in Tilly's mind the angrier she got. She dropped his hand. "THERE'S STILL PEOPLE ON THE RIDE—"

"Shh." He cringed and stepped in front of her, as though his body could muffle the sound of her voice. "I know this is bad but this is a job for the authorities. Police, the fire department, whatever this little podunk town has to offer. Hopefully everybody makes it out okay."

Sprout covered her mouth in horror as she looked to the metal caging that made up the ride's passenger cars. "Somebody's gonna get crushed."

He hushed her, grimacing, before returning his attention to Tilly. "We have to look out for ourselves. Let's go."

Metal squealed. The wheel picked up speed as it trundled downhill. Timber snapped and support beams collapsed as it crushed a row of tents. People flooded out, scattering like ants from a smashed nest. Some rushed for the exit but others just stood, staring, transfixed by the surreality.

GP reached for Tilly's wrist. She pulled away. The exhausted uncertainty etched in her expression solidified into something sterner. "Sprout, mind GP while I'm gone."

"What?" He tried again to grab her as she passed, fingers closing around empty air. His face was fathomless and hollow, jaw working. "Don't—don't tell me you're crazy enough to go after that thing—"

"All right." She broke into a run. "I won't. Be back soon."

"You can't be serious!" he yelled after her. "You're making a huge mistake!"

Following the path of destruction, Tilly slid down the hillside, loose gravel and clumps of grass snowballing in her wake. Something nipped at her heels as she landed. She looked over her shoulder.

Booger's tongue lolled from her mouth, approximating a small smile. "So I guess it's gonna be a late dinner tonight, huh?"

"We gotta catch up to it." Tilly felt braver knowing that her dog was with her. "Can you turn into something fast?"

"You got it." As the dog lunged ahead, tail wagging, she landed on four hooves. Her fur thinned and fell in patches, the fine hairs disappearing before they had a chance to touch the ground. The raised hackles along her neck grew into a wild black mane. She knelt before Tilly. "Hop on."

Tilly threw a leg over the spotted horse and they broke into a gallop. Without a saddle, she bounced along the shapeshifter's back with a yelp and scrambled to lock her arms around Booger's neck. She clung for dear life.