Chapter 17: Ice Girl

The wind blew, the icy gale nearly slicing through me as I trudged along, the sun's weak beams fighting to warm me. I held onto my bag tightly, making sure to move as quickly as the slush would allow me. I was doing my best to rush back to campus, the peacefulness of my dorm beckoning me to come to it. It was only late in the afternoon, but I was already so done and over the day. I just wanted to lock myself in my room and stay in the rest of the day. That was all I wanted.

However, as I trotted along, my thoughts lingered back to the café -back to the trio of boys. I recalled their conversation and how there was a slight edge of urgency in Marco's tone. The stalker. I thought, still moving forward. Is he that big of a threat to be gaining everyone's attention like this? I mean, they could cause a mass panic for no reason. I continued when I remembered the way I felt that night before Eren arrived.

I had been so uncertain about what the stranger had wanted, but looking back at the whole situation, I realized it could've been extremely dangerous. There was no telling what the creep wanted, but it couldn't have been anything good. No one stalks a lone girl for a good reason. whatever he had planned was definitely diabolical and I shuddered at the very thought of it all.

I shivered, partly due to the bitter breeze and partly because I was freaking myself out. I wanted to pick up the pace and get back before I allowed my imagination to run wild, but I wasn't so lucky. Of course, that was just how my life's story went.

As I was nearing campus I saw a familiar trio of boys all walking side by side, most likely happily chatting about whatever. At first, I slowed my pace, feeling my heart drop. After getting the call from YF/N, I had realized the boys had left, abandoning their table. I didn't question it at the time, but it would have made sense. After all, I doubted they wanted a stranger to overhear their private conversation. I mean, I didn't blame them. What they were discussing was serious and something I shouldn't have listened to.

So, I lowered my head and shoved my hands into my pockets. I didn't slow my pace anymore and increased it, so I knew I had to move quickly. I pressed on, my shoes splashing through the slush as I hurried, making my way past them. I made sure not to make eye contact as I was too afraid they'd recognize me. Ridiculous, I know, but I didn't want to chance anything. I doubted Marco or Jean would remember me and I figured Connie wouldn't chat with me since we weren't friends, but still.

I just wanted to zip past them and get to my room.

I finished pasting them and was in the clear when the universe decided it wasn't done with screwing up my day. As I got a few feet ahead of the boys my foot made contact with an icy patch that had been missed, thus leading to embarrassment. I lost my balance, throwing my hands in the air as my feet slide out from beneath me. It all played out in slow motion from there on. With my heart racing and blood pumping, I watched as I got closer and closer to the ground before staring up at the blue sky.

It took a few moments, but eventually, the pain kicked in. My bum was sore from landing on the cold ground and my palms stung from the cement scratching them when I tried to catch myself. On top of that, the hard landing had knocked the wind out of me, leaving me gasping for breath and in shock. But, it wasn't long before that astonishment transformed into pure and unadulterated embarrassment.

I could feel my cheeks beat red as heat brushed itself across them, my expression now most likely sprawling across my features. I mean, who enjoyed falling flat on their ass in front of three strangers? Certainly not I.

I was working to sit up when I heard Marco's sweet voice gasp, "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?"

I listened as shoes hammered at the cement, his pants filling the air when he emerged by me, his big brown eyes filled with so much concern. He knelt at my side, quickly examining me with his gaze, panic wrote clearly across his features. Honestly, I appreciated it all, but all I really wanted to do was to cruel up and hide under a rock.