Chapter 18: Stays in Vegas

That cheque was the only reason we boarded the BA283 airplane to LAS airport, Nevada. Turned out, hoping to get a couple of flight tickets to Los Angles in December of all months could only be described as a far-fetched dream. The most our good friend Heather was able to do with that £11,000 cheque she now held in her hand, was a flight to Las Vegas. Not that I'm complaining.

Our second problem was the passport issue. Fortunately, Heather's position in the airport was higher than I had thought it was. Hence, – and I still didn't understand how she managed it – she got us to board the plane without actually having to show identification, with some more 'persuasion', of course (namely Everest's bank account).

"You realise," I asked her, "that, what you are doing is highly illegal, right?

Oh, how the tables have turned.

She nodded.

I smiled. "I like you."

All in all, it made me evaluate a few things: Number one, perhaps I shouldn't have spoken to her the way that I did. Number two, why didn't either of us think of using a cheque before deciding to crawl through that colossal network of vents? And number three, Everest seemed to have a few coins to spare in his bank vault.

The flight itself was worse than all of those previous train rides combined. These were some of the things that happened:

1) The plane lifted off.

2) The plane reached terminal velocity. Fun was over. That sound wasn't.

3) Seat belt sign turned off. I went to the toilet. Wasn't a huge fan of the minuture size of the room.

4) The sound of the toilet flushing frightened me a little bit. What? It was so unnecessarily sudden!

5) I went back to my seat, recalling the hard fight I had to put on in order to get the window seat. Okay, I lied. It wasn't a hard fight at all. Everest didn't care.

6) There was nothing in the windows.

7) I looked over at Everest. His eyes were closed.

8) I was bored.

9) I played with the thingy on the seat in front of me.

10) Food time!

11) Ew, plane food.

12) I fell asleep.

13) I woke up to louder noises.

14) The plane was tilted downwards.

15) The plane landed.

16) Everyone clapped.

17) Las Vegas, baby!

"Oh my God!" I suddenly stopped Everest in the jet bridge, as holiday makers scurried by, dragging their noisy suitcases behind them.

"What?" he asked, impatient as ever.

"We still don't have passports! They're not going to let us through! We're going to go to jail, after all we've been through!"