(004)

Draco

31 July 1996

I led Hadrius out into the garden. We sat down on a branch of a white rose tree.

Looking over at him next to me fidgeting slightly as he found a comfortable position, I smiled. "So, Hadri, how have you been in the years that we haven't caught up?"

I scooted slightly closer to him and moved to place my hand over his. As I reached out to him though, he flinched away heavily. I retracted my hand and frowned. "Is everything okay?"

His eyes seemed distant, looking somewhere far away as he said, "Oh, mhmm. S-sure."

I reached towards Hadrius again, this time for his bicep to place a calming hand, but he flinched away from my touch again.

Hadrius stood up and looked at me, an emotion that I couldn't place shadowing his gorgeous, green eyes. He gestured with his hands as he talked, speaking to me quickly, almost frantically. "Listen, Draco, I-I like y-y-you, and w-we're mates and all, b-but jus-just let-let me have some time t-to...g-gather my-myself, okay?"

Before I could respond, Hadrius had flapped his enormous wings and flew off to another part of the manor. From the direction, I think he was going to his room.

*     *     *

Hadrius

"No, no, stop it! Stop it!" I yelled and held my head as flashes of fists and hands flying towards me appeared behind my eyelids.

I whimpered as the memories overtook me. Vernon beating me for putting too much salt on the meat. Vernon beating me for making Dudley's food too spicy. Vernon beating me for making Dudley's tea cakes too small. Vernon raping me for no reason at all. Vernon burning me because he was in one of his drunk fits. Vernon, Vernon, Vernon!

He terrorised my life. He's not here. He is always here. He's not here. He'll find us. We're safe now.

"Garron...What if he finds us?" I mumbled to myself, curled into a ball on the sheets of my bed.

"Harry, he won't find you, you're safe now, you're with your parents," I replied soothingly.

I shook my head. "He's always here. He's always in my mind, I can't get rid of him!" A sob tore itself from my throat. "Garron, you're the only one who understands, because you were there...I want to be here for Draco, be his mate...but I just can't. Every time he tries to touch me, Vernon is back, he's here, and I think that Draco is going to hit me, even though the Creature inside of me wants that touch dearly, I just can't."

I continued sobbing, even though Garron tried to speak through my sobs. I felt so achingly alone, but I wouldn't allow myself to be around people, my anxiety was too much around anybody too long, except for my parents.

Later, as I was falling asleep from the exhaustion of crying, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me gently. I tensed for a moment, but then the calming scent of my mate and fatigue swept me off into a land of darkness.

*     *     *

I woke up in the morning to the sun on my eyes and a warmth on my back. Quickly, my senses registered Draco's arms around me. I scrambled out of his embrace and back, falling off of my bed and onto the floor.