Back to the Past

Thunder rolled across the sky, reverberating through the grey thick air as it caught the echo of every building, and sent it back into the heavens before the rain began to fall once more. Waving to the cab, RiverSong looked up at Palmer Industries. Circular with pillars reaching up into the foggy skies seemed to catch the torrents of rain that consistently fell, the glaring red sign Palmer Industry beaming like a beacon through the gray reflective mirrored doors beneath. She almost lost her nerve as large doors opened from the ceiling, the ocean of rain water rushing from the roof in then with a mighty noise closing again. If she ever saw Star Labs, this would be it, under a new name and guidance.

Hurrying in with a big tin container in her hand to escape the torrent she stopped as soon as she made it through the doors. A large white desk with the same glowing red logo, plants that thrived lining the windows, seemingly suspended in air against them. This plan was ingenious, using the large floor to ceiling windows to grow flowers and food, several people gathering them on ladders wearing blue added to the incredible, self sub staining building.

"Welcome to Palmer Industries." a kind voice came from behind the counter "How can I help you?"

RiverSong walked over, her hand brushing the top of plants as she put the container on the counter.

"I'm here to see Mr Palmer, please."

"Is he expecting you?" the young lady, probably no older then her own daughter asked from behind the counter, brushing her red hair back behind her ear and fixing her glasses in the aftermath.

"Yes I am from the Collection Agency." River smiled then looked up as a tall man with silvering hair walked from a door beside her.

"It's okay Amy. I was expecting her." he said extending his hand over the counter to her "I'm Ray."

"You're Ray?" River asked looking over his red sweater and crisp blue jeans. Usually people who owned such a place were a little more, formal, for lack of better word.

"Yep! Come on" he nodded as he shook her hand and lead her to double doors that slid open with a swipe of his bracelet.

"Cool huh? No badges there's this little chip..." he stopped as she trotted after him to keep up, the container in her arms once again.

She doesn't care, Ray, be quiet.

To his surprise, a huge smile appeared on the face of his guest.

"So I did come to the right place, you make amazing things," she stated politely looking at his wrist a moment. It just looked like a regular leather band around, which, in itself, was impressive. No one would ever think of it, unlike a badge that could be taken, especially with a high clearance.

"Well yes, I mean I make tech. That's what I do, even the name of the company, Palmer Industry...wait no it doesn't say a thing about tech does it. Maybe I should have called it Palmer Technology. Note to self for next time." he fumbled and looked at the woman who was now staring at him.

He took a deep breath and tried again.

"Okay yes, I make tech. What did you need? I never had anyone except for Cisco Ramon come to me, and that was a while ago to help him with a project. He's a brilliant mind you are lucky to have him as your boss."

"And a husband."

A blank look crossed his face for a moment as if forgetting before it came back to him, hitting him upside the side of his head almost visibly.

"Right, right I'm sorry you told me that in your text message. So Mrs. Ramon what can I do for you?"

"I have some business that I need help with, it's important." she walked beside him through a few more doors that swung open at a swipe of his wrist finally putting the container down on the desk that he sat behind.