A Slip Up Waiting To Happen

Months passed until it compiled into years...and Ares had still not returned.

I did not personally blame him, as he was tending to his duties tirelessly with the passion I now know he carries. He sent Hermes to tell me certain things and give me gifts even now and again...and it was becoming such a lovely routine that I didn't care my previous lover was delivering them wordlessly and awkwardly from my current lover...

I had hoped that it would be more than just one night together, and I know that it will be another night eventually, but for now, I am simply restless. Some would call it lovelorn, but I view it more as a simple issue: the terrible situation of remaining untouched by a man in months has made me stir-crazy!

Finally, my attention turns back to my own husband, making conversation with him, eating meals with him, teasing him...bickering with him. It was starting to feel like a small friendship with a small dose of attraction and a high dose of playful disagreement. 

It became quite enjoyable when the disagreements became intelligent conversations...and while I waited for Ares to draw his attention back to me, his seemingly distant, unattended lover, I learned all the things I yearned to know. 

Hades, the God of the Underworld finally stole his bride, compelled by my match I gave him. 

I squealed with delight once Hephaestus told me that. 

"Oh, no! Demeter must be absolutely devastated!" I giggle, smacking my husbands hand, consumed by my laughter. "I can't believe I did that!" 

Hephaestus even laughs himself. "I must say, it wasn't a terrible idea. It brings the two of them quite the journey of...well, love, but it might be even more pleasing to see Demeter's hissy fit." 

I gush and bring out a bottle of wine for the two of us. "White wine?" I offer him a glass and wait for his reaction. 

He pauses, staring at my hand yielding the glass, while I wait anxiously. We haven't had a glass of wine together in ages...I haven't even bothered to offer before. 

He holds out his hand, an innocent expression plastered on his face. "Sure, sweetheart." 

I genuinely smile down at him and pour it for him, not saying a word. Finally, I sit and clear my throat.

"So, what is Demeter doing about this? Is she going to fight true love?" I grin in amusement. "If so, she has no idea who's she up against." 

Hephaestus smirks and takes a sip. "Yes, yes she is...but I can tell you this. If she's up against you, my dear, little wife, and Hades himself..." He sets down his glass. "She doesn't have a speck of a chance." 

I shyly smile while hiding my pleased look behind my wine glass. "Let's hope so. I have high hopes for the two of them." I say quietly. "There will be a lot of more peace if they work out, not to mention a happier Underworld with a woman's touch." I tease. 

Hephaestus nods thoughtfully. "Well, we'll find out soon." He remarks. "They're having a debate about it shortly." 

I stand abruptly without being able to stop myself. "A debate? What do you mean a debate?" 

Hephaestus grunts and slowly stands. "Calm down, Aphrodite. They are having all the Gods come together tomorrow to discuss whether or not they should be allowed to stay together." 

I growl in annoyance and overload my wine glass. "This is ridiculous. Why does Demeter have so much influence on this matter that clearly has nothing to do with her ruling? Why do any of the other Gods have a say when I am the one who takes care of such matters?" I am nearly yelling, but don't care. 

"She is her mother, that is all." Hephaestus calms me by placing both of his hands on my shoulders soothingly. "Everything will work out the way it's supposed to." 

I shake my head in defiance. "That isn't the way it works. It should, but it never seems to!" I screech and fall back into my chair, defeated. 

"Love is supposed to be a magical thing, but all it has done is cause pain...and I rule it all. How wonderful." I sigh, covering my face. 

"Why would you say that?" Hephaestus says in a whisper. 

"The Trojan war would be a good start." I huff. "A whole war over love." I clench my fist. "Hades and Persephone being torn apart, causing Persephone's mother grief, and a damn kidnapping." I continue. "And not to mention to the one match I never had control of my own!"  

I hate myself for the words that burst out of my mouth, but I couldn't stop them. 

Hephaestus frowns. "Yes, I know." 

Silence overcomes up for a few moments before he speaks again. "Are you seeing anyone?" 

I lift my head out of my hands and look at him, bewildered. "Uh-why w-would you think that?" 

"I don't." He states neutrally. "You've just been home more often than usual...you seem lonely." 

I look to him intensely, clicking my tongue carefully. "I am." 

He bows his head slightly. "I'm sorry for that. I know I'm not around."

I inhale slowly, thinking of my response. "I-uh-"

An urgent knocking on our humble abode's door cuts me off. 

Looking at Hephaestus with uncertainty in my eyes, an image of Ares gallantly showing up at our door flashes before my eyes. Perhaps, he's going to whisk me away...or perhaps, confront his brother about wanting to take his wife....maybe he just wants to out me for the promiscuous harlot that I have been...

 I walk up to the door, preferring myself over Hephaestus to face him first. 

Shakily I open the door, my heart beating rapidly...only speeding up once I see who is on the other side!

Demeter shoves past me. "Listen, here, Harlot!" 

I close the door, embarrassment already rushing over me. What does she know? What is she here to do?

She whirls and faces me after ignoring a shocked Hephaestus. "Now, you better make the right decision this time around, do you hear me? My daughter does not belong to that monster!" She pushes me backward into the privacy of one of our bedrooms. "I want you to make your opinion clear, okay? I want you to state you don't agree with the match and undo your wrong, do you hear me?" Demeter points her little finger right up to my face. 

"A-and if I-" I stutter out. 

"And if you don't? Well, you have quite the nerve to even ask such a thing." Demeter looks me up and down with a careless sneer. "I think  you know that I know things. I know you slept with Hermes and bore his child, and I know you'll do it again." She sends me a lingering gaze. "And I will be watching you, and telling Hephaestus every little mistake you make." 

"Hephaestus doesn't care." I challenge her. "Him and I, we have an agreement." 

"I know the agreement." She sends me a glare. "That's why you better never get caught with Ares. I don't have any proof of it yet, but I will the moment you slip up..." She leans close as she makes her way to leave. "And you will slip up, won't you?"

She leaves quickly then, slamming the door behind her.