Chapter 1: The Test

"Seriously, what were we thinking? This for Initiation test?" I said, pointing the nearby bushes and trees. It was mid-day probably. We had been walking in search of something we did not even remember. See, we were in the Forest of Illusions. Every turn made us forget our previous journey. In that case, anyone might think that we would forget our life. But it is not this way, the forest worked. We would forget only when we changed directions, making it difficult to find a way out of there. It used only selective loss of memory.

"You knew what we were getting into when we agreed to this. And let me refresh your memory, you were the one who argued with the Council for this test when no one agreed."

Chris was right about that. I had protested vehemently when our subject of the initiation was not accepted by the Council. I told them we could do it. They only agreed when I pointed out that all the other tests would not really be testing us, and well, that was a loophole sufficient enough for them to give us permission. No tests were designed for people with our magical power. It was apparent that I always got into trouble.

Now, the problem at the moment was to get out of here and on to the other side of the forest. Yeah. It was so easy. Not.

"You got any plans about this?" I asked pointing the turn ahead.

Chris stopped and observed everything carefully for a moment. The trees formed a canopy and they looked good for a picnic.

"This is like when we enter a room through a door and forget what we came for, right?"

"Yeah. That is the reason the Council created this illusion, to make it difficult to find a way?"

"Two points I have to stress here. First point: The Council did not make this. And second, we must think about how to remember the path." He said ticking off his fingers.

"Who made this then?" I definitely didn't know its history. Maybe it was because I never paid attention to our history class.

"Some say the legendary Sameyra and others insist that this always existed and was not created."

We reached the turning in the path. Every change in direction made us forget the previous. So we knew we would forget the way but still continued on. We could be moving in circles for all I knew and the Council would be laughing at me.

"What if we think and chant out before making the turn so we do not forget it?"

It was actually a good idea if it worked.

"Brilliant, Chris. But you know I face a problem, uh, remembering things."

"You try to overcome that. I don't want to get help from the Scouts and make a fool out of myself," He said grinning. His green eyes were sparkling with excitement. We finally got out of the palace for this quest. I felt like a knight form the stories I read. I didn't know how to fight like a knight though. I liked the fresh air and also the fact that I wasn't under anyone's scrutiny.

"Okay. Let's remember the first letters and make a song or poem."

"Agreed."

The first turn now. Left left left L L L ...

We turned and well I did not remember anything. I looked at Chris. "Now, what?"

"We are Mind Projectors. We should be able to plan something."

"We need something to write on. But, what? There are no papers."

"Hey, we are projectors. Can't we use something from around here to write on, like leaves?" He said with a thoughtful look.