Promise?

Twenty years, twenty whole years. From a young age I was constantly being rushed back and forth to the hospital, I was a sick child. They told Dad that everything would be better after a few years after my body started to develop. "Fine."  They said. "You've got nothing to worry about."  Yet here we are again, 14 years later in the same place, same room and the story has completely changed.

"Marilee will need a donor by next year, but there has been a massive decrease in donator's, meaning the average of a patient getting a kidney would take around 2 years unless a family member was to donate for her." Dr.Jones pressed his lips together, giving my Dad a bit of a frown.

That was the problem, Dad was just like me, he had to replace his kindey too. So, there was no way that he could do anything, but Dad was my only family. Mum died after giving birth to me, she had siblings though, but she wasn't in contact with them after running away with my Dad to get married together and start their own family and to get away from everyone. 

"No! Your results are wrong!" Dad protested, not daring to look at me. " You told me that when she was older that she'd be okay. You promised me." 

The Doctor shrugged and sighed. "I'm sorry, Mr Roberts. But sometimes we get these things wrong. But, I'm terribly sorry about th-"

"You've got to be able to do something, anything!" Dad interupted angrily. "She's the only family I've got!" 

"Dad." I murmured quietly, but both, my Dad and Dr.Jones both shot their heads around to look at me. "Let's just go home." 

I wasn't scared of dying. Because like I once read, 'what's meant to be, will be.' But it wasn't that I was afraid of, I didn't want to leave my Dad. Not after him becoming not only just a Father but was playing the role of a Mother to me as well, I promised to never leave him. He was always there for me no matter what, even though he still grieves from the loss of Mum. I never knew how to react, I never even got to know her. 

The journey on the way home was silent, the only voices there was were coming from the radio which was playing quietly in the background. None of us bothered to say anything or even look at each other, what were we supposed to say after getting told that I was practically going to die in 12 months? 

I jolted forward as the car turned a corner into our parking space outside the house, the engine stopped meaning it was time for me to get out.

"What do you want to eat, poppet?" Dad forced a smile onto his face.

He was obviously faking it, but I respected him for his good attempt.

"Anything, I'm not that bothered. Not really that hungry today." I replied, zipping up my jacket and pawing through my bag for the keys to the house.

I still lived at home with Dad only for the fact that 1. I didn't like the feeling of living by myself and something happening to me because of how I am now and nobody being there to help me and 2. I didn't want to leave Dad by himself. As well, love life was a bit of a problem because as soon as I mentioned me being ill they would run a mile. I didn't understand, it wasn't my fault I was like this.

I slipped off my shoes and made my way upstairs into my untidy bedroom, walking over to my bed as I had to push a load of papers from my art off my bed so I could just sit down. I closed my eyes for a minute and clasped my palms of my hands together.

"Mum," I began, "if you can hear me, could I ask for something? Could I please have some kind of miracle? I just want Dad to be okay and I can't stand the fact of me leaving him, he still hasn't came to the terms about you, 20 years on. He loves you so much, I hope you realize that, he never stops talking about you. But please, I'm begging you, I want Dad to be happy and if there's something that you could do to help me, anything, please, please, please, please do... I love you."

I opened my eyes and smiled up at the sky, hoping whoever was looking down at me caught every single word. There was a call coming from downstairs, dinner I'm guessing. I kicked a few paint bottles out of the way to make a small path for me to get out of my room, that's when I heard the knock.

The knock that saved my life.