anne x diana - midnight adventures

It was a cool, autumn night in Avonlea. Diana Barry held a book tenderly in her hand, only the faint candlelight illuminating her room. As she tried to lose herself in the words, she struggled concentrating. Frustrated, she slammed the book shut. Suddenly, Diana turned her attention to the window in her room, as it was opened a crack. She sprung up and went to close it.

"Diana!" Anne exclaimed as she popped up out of nowhere. Diana jumped back, startled.

"Anne!" Diana cried, "you scared me half to death! What are you doing here? If my parents find out that you climbed up the tree, they might not-"

"Relax!" Anne interrupted. She pushed open the window more, gesturing for Diana to climb out as well.

"Are you insane?! I cannot sneak out. My parents! Do Marilla and Mathew even know that you are here?"

"Honestly Diana Barry sometimes you are too wound up. Never fear, I have come to rescue you from that burden!"

"What are you talking about?" Diana inquired.

"Follow me and you'll find out." Anne said deviously. And with that Anne disappeared from the window and climbed down a tree. While she loved Anne dearly, Diana never quite understood her random sparks of ambition that influenced her to go on the most wild adventures. Nevertheless, Diana put her faith in her friend, and followed Anne.

For a bit, Diana and Anne trudged through the woods, listening to the prevalent sounds of owls and crickets. Anne found the noise quite peaceful, but Diana jumped whenever the thought of dangerous creatures crossed her mind.

"How much father must we walk, Anne?" Diana asked, her voice strained by fear.

"We are almost there I promise." A few more minutes of waking before they had reached their destination: the clubhouse.

"Please tell me you did not drag me all of this way for a last minute story meeting," Diana said. Anne placed her hand over Diana's mouth, and motioned for her to shush. Anne approached the house, but she did not enter. Instead she peered inside the windowsill. Diana tiptoed over to the same window and took a look for herself. Inside the house was an adorable sight: a mother fox and her two kits.

"How perfectly romantical," Anne whispered.
Diana could do nothing but agree. The two of them watched the foxes as they slept peacefully in the girls' sanctuary.

"I noticed them a few days ago," Anne mentioned, "I assume that they sleep here at night when it's abandoned." She turned to Diana. "I'm sorry for dragging you out of your house, I just figured that beauty such as this deserved to be seen by more than one person. Especially more than one person who appreciates beauty such as this."

"Don't be sorry Anne, this is simply wonderful."
-
The girls soon decided to head back the Barry household before Diana's parents noticed her absences and made a whole spectacle.

"Thank you Anne, the foxes were marvelous," Diana declared. The girls hugged and Anne hoisted Diana up so that she could climb up the tree. Before climbing back through the window, Diana looked down at Anne. She waved goodbye and watched Anne run back towards her house. Diana entered her room and close her window behind her. When she turned around, fear struck her like an arrow. There standing before her was her younger sister, Minnie May, equipped with a smug look on her face. Minnie May, while on the outside appeared to be a sweet angel, had a sass to her that was unpredictable. It would be no surprise if she ran downstairs and told her parents what dear Diana Barry had been up to.

"Minnie May," Diana started.

"Save it," her sister refuted, "I will not tell mother and father." Diana took a breath of relief.

"If!" Minnie May added.

"Of course," Diana muttered.

"You have to give me the doll that Aunt Josephine gave you!" Diana debated in her head, but she finally decided to walk over to the trunk in her room and give Minnie May the doll. She thought the doll was quite beautiful, but not worth keeping in return for the terrible rage of her parents.

"Take it. But this stays between you and me."

"My lips are sealed," Minnie May said, trotting out of the room with an invisible crown upon her head. Diana took another deep breathe, for she was in the clear. And so, she got dressed in her night gown, got into bed, blew out the candle by her bedside, and drifted off to sleep.
~~~~~~~

first imagine with one of my favorite TV friendships of all time. I hope you enjoy!